Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" eye pieces

2" eyepieces just allow a wider field of view than a 1.25" eyepiece. Any scope can use them if they have a 2" focuser. I only have one (26mm wide field) which is lovely as a wider field scanner / viewer. most people just have one or two max. you do gain a little but you are not missing out with 1.25" either, e.g. a 32mm plossl will provide a wide field and great views.

thanks moonshane

think i will just stick to 1.25 eye pieces for now i was looking for more fov not that ive looked at much yet with the weather here.

the moon was good the other night but a felt i wanted more fov with a bit more mag.

i wanted more fov with a bit more mag.

Since as Mag goes up FoV gows down this is not easy without opting for an eyepiece with a significant FoV change.

Plossl to ES 82 being the jump in mind.

2" eyepieces are bigger then most expect (have a 20mm one), also unless you are looking at large purchase prices they do not come in the range that 1.25" eyepieces do.

Another point that has always puzzled me but take the WO SWANS sold by FLO they come in 1.25" and 2" options, the 2" options have the same FoV as the 1.25" ;):icon_scratch:

The Vixen NLV 2" eyepiece has a FoV less then many of the 1.25" NLV eyepieces. Even the 2" Pentax WX 30 mm has the same FoV as the 1.25" VW's. Close to twice the cost however.

Check the specifications out first as I suspect you may be getting a wider view by using a lower power.

The 2" eyepiece barrel is wider than 1.25" barrel, so 2" eyepiece clamp has more leverage than 1.25". As such the 2" clamp is stronger and eyepieces using it will be less likely to fall out and diagonals is less likely to undergo unwanted rotation.

The Vixen NLV 2" eyepiece has a FoV less then many of the 1.25" NLV eyepieces. Even the 2" Pentax WX 30 mm has the same FoV as the 1.25" VW's. Close to twice the cost however.

Doesn't the XW30 has a 36.2mm field stop and the LVW30 has a 2" barrel and a 34mm field stop? Both field stop is much bigger than the 1.25" (31.5mm) barrel, surely their TFOV must be bigger than any 1.25" eyepiece.

...Doesn't the XW30 has a 36.2mm field stop and the LVW30 has a 2" barrel and a 34mm field stop? Both field stop is much bigger than the 1.25" (31.5mm) barrel, surely their TFOV must be bigger than any 1.25" eyepiece.

Yes, the true field is bigger with the above eyepieces than any 1.25" eyepiece of that focal length can achieve.

Archived