Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nikon D40

Mansnake

The finder is too small and dim to get good focus easily, so it's more a case of trial and error, take a shot, increment the focus, take another and repeat. A bahtinov mask will help, and also pick a bright star to focus on (provided you can then find your target with the finderscope)

• 4 weeks later...

I have fairly succesfully but nowhere near the required standard for DSOs. I have a T-ring converter and an IR remote to stop shake but no tracking so I am limited. I totally agree with SamAndrew, it is very hard to get good focus due to size and dimness of the D40 finder.

I've attached my best moon pic. Tried to photograph Mars but too much noise and long exposures came back poor due to lack of tracking.

post-34559-133877781663_thumb.jpg

I use Nikons all the time and don't own a Canon.

Have a look at the results on my web pages to judge if it works or not.

So give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose.

• 4 months later...

An alternative to a B mask is a Y mask - literally a mask in the shale of a Y made out of card. Easier to make and has the same effect as a B mask. Use on a bright star or planet and your away. Of course live does help a lot.

If those were done with a D40 then I am mega impressed. What's more exciting is that I am looking for a HEQ5 and noticed you took your pics using this mount. Can't wait now.

On a side-note, do you keep your scope in the obsy? If so, does it not rust?

Oh, and if you're at all into electronics I made an Arduino device to automatically take multiple long-exposure shots with my D40 - by default it can only do exposures up to 30s, so I hacked together an automatic control that uses bulb mode to take a series of exposures at any length you like. Happy to share the design and code if you'd like to make one.

Archived