Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope overload! Dilema

Ok so i've been looking at buying a refractor for a quick grab n' go scope and to use as a guide scope for a planned Sky-Watcher CF 250 (Quattro 10 inch) astrograph reflector purchase, and just when i thought i had found a good one, Explore Scientific 80mm ED APO, I read all kinds of reviews about the glass (lenses) being FCD-1 as opposed to FPL53... now being that i'm a bit of a nut-case when it comes to research (OCD), i'm torn...

I found this cool Orion triplet 80ED CF (carbon fiber = way nice) but it had some bad reviews, namely focuser slop, bad coma, (field flattner obviously a must) and poor bright object performance, even with the FPL53 glass. Now, i realize that spending over 1000 USD for a guide scope is analogous to swatting a fly with a sledgehammer, but, i've realize that i'm starting to warm up to the idea of buying both the Sky-Watcher 250 CF, and a refractor... soooo, my question here is, does anyone wish to comment, preferably based on first-hand experience, on which refractor would be best? i know that the opinions will vary and as you may have noticed, i'm a little long-winded with my explanation, and look forward to reading long-winded responses :/ but what i'm looking for is best bang for the buck.. i've finally decided that the Astro-Tech AT90EDT is the one! The only problem is that it weighs 11.5 pounds! not so bad if it wasn't going to piggyback on the 250CF on an NEQ6Pro mount.. i think it's going to push it, so perhaps ditch the NEQ6 and go for the Losmandy G11.. but now this little venture is going to cause a re-mortgage from the looks of things...

help!

I have the SW Evostar 80 ED DS Pro which is superb and great value for money. This is a very popular and highly recommended scope.

I have the SW Evostar 80 ED DS Pro which is superb and great value for money. This is a very popular and highly recommended scope.

I agree that the Evostar is an amazing scope and has a great bang for the buck factor... I was originally looking at that scope when I came across another great looking scope with amazing reviews... the Stellarvue SV Raptor 80mm Apo Triplet. although it's almost twice the price of the Evostar(black Diamond in Canada), the optics are top notch and the carbon-fiber ota weighs only 5.5 pounds in comparison to the Astro-Tech triplet i was also considering.

With AP in mind, i think a triplet APO is the right choice, but very much appreciate the "long-winded" comment Gina lol... :hello2:

i guess i just wanted to hear what refractor owners have to say

I don't have any experience with these so can't comment with regards using them, but they both caught my eye recently:

You might consider the type of lenses as a key factor in purchasing a triplet, FCD1 type are good but FPL53 are superior yet more costly. The diff being mainly the refractive index of the lens material. If you are serious about AP, i would save up the funds and go for an FPL53 triplet, but if you are going for a 2 lens config, i would probably suggest the Sky-Watcher Equinox 80ED AP.

cheers

Archived