Finder help needed

Hi all

After seeking advise on here I ordered a Rigel quickfinder which arrived today (nice and quick, thanks FLO).

Question is, where is the best place to position it on my scope? Nearer the diagonal where the original RDF would have gone, or nearer the middle/lens? And to add to that, slightly on the side or on the top?

Know it sounds like a stupid question but don't want to attach it only to be told I should have placed it in a better position.

Thanks! Lee.

I'd attach it at the focuser end of the tube. When I fixed my Telrad to my Tal refractor, I used cable ties to temporarily position the finder base so that I could make sure I was happy with the position before I finally fixed it down. If that's possible with the Rigel base then it might be worth trying before you decide.

If the eyepiece is at 12pm, try the finder at 2pm or 10am, depending on which side of the scope you might sit (assuming you can sit while observing). This should give you plenty of space to avoid obstructions when using either of them. You don't want to be hitting your head on it!

I think off-set rather than straight down the middle is going to be better. Just make sure you align it to the scope correctly by centering a bright star or object in the 25mm eyepiece, then set the finder so that it is the same.

Cheers guys. Helpful tips as always on here. I just discovered I may be able to secure the finder to one of the rings that holds the scope in place, which puts it at 12 o'clock, but trial and error.....

Archived