Quick question(s)..

Monki

If I decide to use an ND moon filter and a baader Neo for imaging the moon....in terms of light hitting the filter...would you suggest the Neo first then the ND? As in Objective>Neo>ND>camera? Or is order totally irrelevant?

Also...when video imaging, is it possible to go over the "useful" magnification of the scope and still get good quality because of image stacking? I see how big some peoples pictures of mars are and i get the impression they are using crazy 3-400x magnification?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Visual magnifications don't apply to imaging, if they did all my lunar images would be at even crazier magnifications. http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/187494-moody-copernicus.html and http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/187509-clavius-tycho.html would be at at least 600x or higher. The field of view of a typical webcam is about rhe same as a 6mm eyepiece which is where the confusion lays. For imaging purposes the limiting visual magnification of a telescope can be ignored, for most of the time imagers are interested in the focal ratio and arcsec/pixel ratio, the equivalent optical magnification is only of interest and does not affect imagers.

Peter

I'm not sure why you'd want to use an ND filter for imaging anyway... you'll be cutting a lot of light, leading to longer exposures on the camera etc. Whilst the neo filter isn't the same light cut, I also can't see why you'd want to use it. I generally use an IR/UV cut filter, and sometimes a red filter, as I understand red is less sensitive to seeing variations (I'm probably not quite right on that), but then I'm shooting in mono anyway.

Thanks peter, I'll look into that now I know what terms I'm looking for. My only concern was because my 60/700 refracter would be over its limit if visual restrictions apply. I was wondering about the use of a barlow for Saturn and the moon, which would have again taken me waaay over hehe.

In regards to the filters, it would only be the moon I'd be using the ND filter on, but if camera adjustments to control the light would be better then a filter I'll stick to that then thanks. The Neo filter is the one with ir/UV coatings, so I kind of have to use that. It seemed like a good idea for me to get a moderate lp filter with ir/UV in one package :hello2:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived