NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyes on the Sky: April 30 thru May 6

Venus is at it's brightest this week, despite being a slim crescent as it moves towards its transit between Earth and the Sun in June. Binocular viewers should be able to spot the planet and Beta Tauri in the same field and see how much more brilliant Venus is than the 1.7 magnitude Alnath.

And the Moon / Saturn / Spica conjunction later this week should make for some great photographic opportunities, as well as a moment to ponder the difference in time light took to reach us from each object.

Not had great weather here in the UK recently, so there are clouds galore right now.

Hopefully it'll clear up soon.

That's what I've been hearing; it's been so-so over here by Chicago in the States too. We were fortunate Saturday night for Astronomy Day, the clouds cleared at just the right time to show people the Moon, some planets and a couple double stars. It's not looking good for this week though! :(

Hope someone is getting some clear weather somewhere....

That's what I've been hearing; it's been so-so over here by Chicago in the States too. We were fortunate Saturday night for Astronomy Day, the clouds cleared at just the right time to show people the Moon, some planets and a couple double stars. It's not looking good for this week though! :(

Hope someone is getting some clear weather somewhere....

Definitely. We had some clear(er) skies earlier this afternoon was hoping to catch the moon at least later this evening, but no chance. Only had my telescope for a few days and eager to get it going!!

nice video / heads up :(

i managed some rare viewing other night in Sunny Glasgow (fri night)

started with the superbright Venus

then Moon and M44 ( M44 slightly above moon )

then Regulus and Mars then

Spica and Saturn, plenty to look at,

seeing wasn't great but transparancy was better than average,

the views are amazing with C11 :D

We had some clear(er) skies earlier this afternoon was hoping to catch the moon at least later this evening, but no chance. Only had my telescope for a few days and eager to get it going!!

Ah... the new equipment curse. Buy new astronomy equipment, and it's (almost) guaranteed to be cloudy for a week afterwards.

I seem to have broken that one with my 6" f/5 scope. Clear for three days after I got it - and actually cleared the skies TWICE when it was supposed to be cloudy. I'm worried about upgrading/modifying it... I might alter it's 'cloud-clearing' capabilities!

nice video / heads up :hello2:

i managed some rare viewing other night in Sunny Glasgow (fri night)

started with the superbright Venus

then Moon and M44 ( M44 slightly above moon )

then Regulus and Mars then

Spica and Saturn, plenty to look at,

seeing wasn't great but transparancy was better than average,

the views are amazing with C11 :)

Thanks, and I'm glad you were able to get some good views and had some clear weather! Nice scope too. :)

It has to get better Chris! It was supposed to be cloudy/rainy by me last night, and wound up completely clear. And the atmosphere was amazingly steady, so I got to look at Saturn at 300x.

Archived