Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASDAcam for guiding piggy-back AP?

c3po

HI all.

Just getting into the AP scene with 35mm film (i know DSLR is nicer to work with, but i can't afford one yet!) and recently got hold of the ASDAcam and it got me thinking...

The ASDAcam works great on lunar & planetary stuff, and seems to pick up stars quite well in SharpCap. Whilst using it, i noticed that there is a digital reticule that can be super imposed on the image by the software - what's this for?

I wondered if, whilst piggy-backing my35mm SLR on the scope, the ASDAcam could act as a sort of manual guiding cam with my RA motor providing tracking - does this seem feasible? :(

It is possible to make a finder-guider using a webcam. Not sure if the ADSAcam will be sensitive enough, but there's only one way to find out. Assuming it works it is possible to use the images from the webcam to get a PC or laptop to control some mounts. Whether it would work for yours I couldn't say, but if you have a look at stan26's posting on cheap AP in the DIY section it might give you some ideas.

James

It is possible to make a finder-guider using a webcam. Not sure if the ADSAcam will be sensitive enough, but there's only one way to find out. Assuming it works it is possible to use the images from the webcam to get a PC or laptop to control some mounts. Whether it would work for yours I couldn't say, but if you have a look at stan26's posting on cheap AP in the DIY section it might give you some ideas.

James

i'm under no illusion that it will auto-guide my mount (a CG-3) as it's not got go-to function. Could I somehow automatically control the RA motor, it has the dial thingy that allows manual speed correction and forward/reverse action, but that's about it.

Archived