Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eyepiece disappointment

I recently made my first astronomy purchase (although judging from what I see on here probably nowhere near my last !!!). I'm currently using a borrowed telescope while I find my feet and following the great advice on here ,I decided to start by buying a better eyepiece. I settled on a new GSO 9mm Plossl. Unwrapping it today I noticed that...

1. It is badged Revelation rather than GSO (although I did find another thread from someone who had a similar swap and the general consensus seemed to be that was OK)

2. Despite it being in a sealed plastic bag, there is a definite visible double scratch on the tube, which looks like its been turned with the set screws done up (i.e. have I actually been given a used one?).

3. When I looked through it at a distant tree this morning (fat chance of being able to look at anything higher than cloud level given the current UK weather) there is an irregular smeared / out of focus area (which rotates with the eyepiece - so def not another cause). I cant see anything obvious on the surface of the lens that would be causing this.

I'm assuming there will be no problem returning it, but I've called the dealer three times today with no reply (though their website says they are open until 2pm today).

So have I been done? - Is it common to need to return stuff like this, or have I just been unlucky on this occasion?

Needless to say the clouds will clear as soon as I pop it back in the post and they will return when the postman arrives with its replacement.

Jim

It's difficult to comment without seeing the item in question but you are right (within your rights) to return the item back to the retailer if there is an obvious problem that would render unfit for purpose . This type of incident in my experience isn't the norm and in fact most astronomy gear is very well packaged to avoid any problems during delivery. In fairness to the dealer he/she might have had to pop out and I am sure this is no way a reflection on you or the product that is at fault. Keep us updated on your progress.

James

Sounds to me like it needs to be returned. Knowing who the dealer is will allow a more informed response I suppose. But if it's scratched and the optics arent right, it has either been damaged in the post or is inded a pre-used item.

The Sale of Goods Act dictates that the product must be fit for purpose. If it isn't send it back. But, allow the dealer to try to rectify it first, as it may be a simple honest mistake/problem somewhere along the line.

Good luck !

Scott.

Bottom line is: Return it. Just to comment on the specifics, though:

1. GSO is the manufacturer. They make Revelation eyepieces. So, as you suggest, you're probably fine here. Nevertheless, a good seller would have warned you so you weren't surprised.

2. You have probably been sent a returned eyepiece that wasn't checked before being sent out again. That's pretty poor. If the eyepiece performed well otherwise then you would be in a position to ask for a discount (assuming that the mark on the barrel didn't bother you). You would, in effect, have bought second hand. Although that's not what you signed up for. This is most likely the seller's fault.

3. You performed a very sensible check. It sounds to me as though the eyepiece has a major aberration. It doesn't sound like a reflection would cause this (reflections would cause a decrease in contrast and shouldn't rotate with the eyepiece). Some optical errors are more visible during the day than during the night. If it rotates with the eyepiece and is irregular then it sounds bad. Blur around the edges of the field is to be expected under some circumstances. It should never have left the factory looking like that. Does it rattle inside? There may be a loose lens element. Doesn't really matter, though. You've been sold a dud and should get your money back. Probably this a manufacturing error. One can't expect the shop to test every eyepiece.

Yes send it back and make sure you get a good one, but make sure you tell them what you are about to do. Shouldn't worry about it being badged Revelation and not GSO - I believe they are the same and certainly made in the same factory and are badged differently for different dealer/countries whatever.

You say you have rung them but have you tried emailing them. I know from experience that it is almost impossible to get through to some companies on the phone, but they answer there emails quite quickly.

It is possible to get strange things happening with purchase. I ordered a 2" diaelectric diagonal, and when it arrived, it was completely missing the drawtube which goes into the scope and the plastic bag in was in had been ripped open at that end of the kit. I emailed the dealer who in all honesty had just send me the next box from his stock room without checking it, and he sent me the missing part after a couple of days.

Mistakes do happen or in my case someone with light fingers had nicked part of my kit from the stockroom :(

Hi

If you purchase items online you have 7 days after you receive it to return it for a full refund and you don't even need a reason. Believe it or not you actually have more rights when buying online.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Archived