solar observing

After some thinking regarding a Solar alignment sight I came up with a great design idea. Here is a copy of another post I made regarding Solar viewing...

Hey all.

I just finished my new solar alignment sight that I designed and built for safely aiming my 8" SCT for Solar viewing with a Baader Solar filter. If anyone would like the measurements to make their own, I'll be happy to post dimensions. I'm preparing for the transit on June 5th. (US, Chicago area) Really looking forward to it. I've already taken a look at the Sun through my filter and it works great.

Clear skies everyone... Here's the link to 9 pictures taken during construction of the sight.

http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/displayimage.php?album=77&pid=3023#top_display_media

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love that idea, may give that a go myself.

J, To soften the PVC pipe for bending I used a propane (gas) torch... not sure what it's called in the UK, as I know that's what you call a flashlight. You could also use a heat gun. I softened the back portion and then closed it in my vise to flatten it until it cooled. I'm using a left over mounting screw on my scope to attach the sight using the tab that I glued on the bottom of it. You could probably use double sided taped if you don't have an extra screw.

Good luck.

na dont fink so mate....i want to attach the film to something that totaly goes over the end of the scope and comes down the tube an inch or so so i can put some screws with rubber feet on and clamp it to the scope so it dont get blown/fall/ knocked off. im incredibly clumsy you see....iv seen some rings some were on the interweb that would do it...i cant remember were though argh!

I put a plastic bag over the end of my scope and built my filter holder right on the telescope. I cut 2 inch strips of cardboard and started gluing and clamping them right on the telescope. That way when it was dry, I could remove the holder, then remove the plastic bag and it fits back on the scope quite snugly without having to put screws against the scope. I have already used it on a windy day and it didn't budge. Here is a picture of the holder early in the construction process. There are more at the end of the album. I didn't want to change the picture order, as it would cause dead links.

http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/displayimage.php?album=77&pid=3022#top_display_media

You can also see the Solar alignment sight I designed and built

made from 3/4" (19mm) PVC pipe. Here are 9 pictures taken during the construction...

http://gordongreene.com/photogallery/displayimage.php?album=77&pid=3023#top_display_media

Thanks ggreen, will have a go at that.

propane (gas) torch... not sure what it's called in the UK, as I know that's what you call a flashlight.

Commonly called a Blow Torch here in the UK, no idea why LOL. A lot of American words are slowly pushing aside the English words, same with spelling too with z's replacing s's in some words e.g. initialise can now be spelt initialize, who woulda thunk :)

Thanks ggreen, will have a go at that.

Commonly called a Blow Torch here in the UK, no idea why LOL. A lot of American words are slowly pushing aside the English words, same with spelling too with z's replacing s's in some words e.g. initialise can now be spelt initialize, who woulda thunk :)

When I was a kid, my Dad had something we called a Blow Torch. It had a huge brass tank and a burner assembly mounted on top of it. You would put unleaded gasoline in it and pump up the pressure with a manual, attached pump. Rotate the control knob. Light it with a match and stand back... It was scary.

I used to use one in the decorating trade, you had to heat the nozel first otherwise the flame would spurt out like a flame-thrower, you didn't put gasoline in, it was parrafin, gasoline would just explode, 'parrafin' is called something else in the States.

Archived