Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TAL 150PM tube rings

Crunchard

Yup, Tony is bang on.

One advantage of doing this, is that with the knurled thumbscrews on the underside of the dovetail, it'll catch on the saddle and save the scope from slipping off the mount, should the dovetail clamp loosen off at any point.

Got any pics of your gear? Would especially love to see another grey Alcor.

Andy.

Yay !!

Great pics. Yours is a year younger than mine.

As it happens, I've had mine out to play this afternoon. Took the alt/az mount to bits and gave it a clean & then a good greasing. Next, I gave it a quick 'star' test on a handy piece of sparkly quartz on a roof tile. Gave lovely airy rings.

I then tested it on a distant communication tower alongside my Carton 60/1000 frac. Since getting this wunder frac, I've come to realise just how sharp and contrasty it is, despite it's limited aperture. I'm pleased to report that after testing at similar powers, the Tal mini newt is very, very close to being as good, which surprised me.

I have a couple of obscure 17mm o/d eyepieces that came with my Polish PZO Mak and found they can fit in the Alcor focuser(the heads of the eyepieces are around the i/d of the Alcors focus tube). I found them to be remarkably sharp, so am thinking about getting an adapter made so I can regularly use them on the Alcor. Whilst I find the Alcors 15.4mm eyepiece to be sharp, it's not the most eye friendly 'piece in the world. These two Polska's beat it in that respect. Although if I had funds, I'd probably consider an upgrade to a Siebert Optics Alcor eyepiece.

The only downside is it's hard to aim at targets, unless you're about 10 years old. The peepholes are a pain to use. Am considering making up a small optical finder with some sort of non marring clamp to go on the tube.

So, as well as being a collectors piece and optical oddity, I'm pleased to say the wee beastie gives cracking views. It's no toy.

Andy.

Archived