Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommendation for Moon/Planet filter

Since getting my new scope, I have been using the rare breaks in the cloudy weather to get used to using my new Heritage 130p scope by targeting easy objects such as the moon and Venus.

Surprisingly, I find that I have been captivated by the moon which has been spectacularly beautiful and I can see me spending many a night observing it's many features.

However, both of these objects are eye wateringly bright and I wondered if anyone could shed any light (no pun intended) as to which moon filter would be best and would it also be suitable for Venus.

I was thinking of the Baader ND 0.9 sold by FLO, but would like to see what others recommend before committing.

We got this one from FLO

First Light Optics - Variable Polarizing Moon Filter works really well with our Skywatcher Explorer 150P.

Thanks Katen, That looks promising. I quite like the idea that you can alter this to cope with the different moon phases which may require more than one filter of fixed density.

Would I be correct in assuming that the diameter of the filter is no greater than 1.25 so it could be used with a 2x Barlow?

Doh! Ignore last query. If it fits into a focuser mounted on a ep, it will fit into a Barlow! Sorry about that, it's been a long day...

Archived