NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Easy to find Messier objects with Light pollution

pel

Hi ,

Can anybody suggest a list of easy to find and image Messier objects,

I'm fairly near Reading so suffer from average to high LP.

So far I have seen m42,m45,m81,m82.

I can't see M51.

From googling I was going to try -

M3,M13,M1,M27,M57,M31,M32,M65,M66.

Cheers, Perry.

If you can see an object in an eyepiece, it should be bright enough to image reasonably easily. You just need to be aware of how large the object is compared to the field your camera will give you. e.g. M57 is pretty small and M31 is pretty big so although they are quite bright and easy to find they are not framed particularly well with a DSLR on a 200P.

Globulars and particularly open clusters are relatively easy to start with because they don't have any faint nebulosity to tease out of the light pollution.

For nebulae, M27 is a nice one to start with.

I would recommend a Telrad, once this has arrived download the free Telrad maps, they show all the Messiers Object, then download Stellarium another freebee and use the Telrad Option (Windows mode, Alt -O), all these combined and a with a little practice you will drop right on top of your chosen DSO. My list were all found this way...

Thanks Tinker, I've got a Telrad and the maps, but some of the Messier objects are too faint to see with LP, that's why I need to know which ones are good ones in LP skies.

I knew exactly where to look for M51, but it is very faint.

have a look through my blog it will give you some ideas of what you can image with the 200p and eq5 mount with dual axis motors. If your light pollution is troublesome a filter will be needed failing that a trip to a dark sight is worth while as dark skies make big difference. You will find that once you start taking images with your camera its a lot faster to find stuff like M51. In fact I dont look for galaxy's with my eye piece any more I use my camera pointing the scope in the general area and taking 30 second shots at an iso of 1600 will show them up well for you. Then you can frame them and start taking your images.

Cheers Mark, I've looked at your blog several times, as you've got the same OTA/Mount and I was going to move towards guiding.

I'll see how the images turn out before going for a filter, especially as the camera clip filters cost bundles.

I saw you mentioned before about finding objects with your camera. I'll give it a go.

Thanks, Perry.

Archived