90mm MAK scope as guidescope?

I'm still completely new at all this so please forgive my ignorance. I am thinking about going into imaging at some point although I do have a limited budget.

I was wondering if a small 90mm Maksutov telescope could be used as a guide scope? As I watched a video on youTube last night & a guy on there reckoned he piggy backed one & used it with his set up. If they aren't suitable is there a better option? Or are proper guidescopes the only way to go?

Hi Tich, how's things mate?

You can use any scope as a guidescope but some are more suitable than others.

The MAK doesn't have a massive FOV so might limit your choice of guide star but that's the only disadvantage I can think of.

Are you going to bung a DSLR in the 200p and use the SPC with the MAK to pulse guide?

Hi Tich, how's things mate?

You can use any scope as a guidescope but some are more suitable than others.

The MAK doesn't have a massive FOV so might limit your choice of guide star but that's the only disadvantage I can think of.

Are you going to bung a DSLR in the 200p and use the SPC with the MAK to pulse guide?

Things are going well here apart from the weather!!!:D

Yeah that was the plan I've been looking at a few second hand DSLR's to use with my 200P I know I will be better off with a better mount but I'm initially just looking at getting started.

The F ratio of the Mak is too slow as well as the FL being too long. With a slow f ratio you would need guide subs much longer than most mounts will cope with. On my EQ sixes I guide, sometimes, at 0.5 second intervals because the periodic error is pretty fast. As above, you can't beat an ST80 with a finder guider in second place.

Olly

Thanks for the advice I have googled the scope but haven't found anything as yet only an Orion ST80:icon_scratch:.

I've still got to get a DSLR sorted (canons seem to be the common weapon of choice) plus the relavant software I'll need to get started. So sorry if I start to bombard the forum with daft questions..:)

Is an EQ5 mount up the extra weight?

I do intend to upgrade the mount at a later date all being well, I'm sure I've read threads of people using an EQ5 mount to do some DSO imaging.

Archived