Things not gone to plan - new plan

Hi all,

I was hoping to be ordering a 250pds on a NEQ6 this month but things have gone a bit pear shaped (as Usual)

anyway I will be able to order a NEQ6 in the next couple of months and then next year add the scope to it.

So questions are - I know I need a dovetail to fit my Explorer 150p to the NEQ6 but as this will be sold next year is there any reason why I cant make one out of some 3/4" oak board I have in the shed, is the dovetail angle a proper dovetail angle ? I wouldnt expect the oak dovetail to hold the weight of the 250pds with st80 and cameras etc attached, but it should cope with the 150p shouldnt it?

Next question which is a bit prematur but when I get the 250pds will it fit directly to the NEQ6 or will I have to buy a mounting plate for that too.

Kev.

I just looked through FLO's 'SW Explorer PDS' range of OTAs. For some reason, the only one that comes supplied with tube rings and dovetail mount is the 300. You apparently have to buy them as extras with the 250, 200 and 150, so add about £55 to the basic advertised price ...

Isnt that a dovetail bar on the pic of the 250pds?

If not then how do they expect us to attach it, I know the A Team would get BA to get his welding stuff out the van and just make something that would fit but in the real world...

why not just add it to the scope and put a little extra on the cost

Anyway back to my original question would an oak dovetail be ok.

Kev.

Yes, it's in the pictures but not in the textual specifications for the 150, 200, 250. The blurb for the 300 includes the words "supplied with Tube Rings and Losmandy -type dovetail bar".

Looks to me as though FLO may have used the same pic for all sizes of the PDS.

An wooden dovetail would probably work in the short term for a 150P. The tube only weights about 5kg but the wood would be subject to dew so you would need to take that into consideration.

I personally wouldn't bother. A medium dovetail bar is only £15 new, you could probably find one on Astroboot for a couple of quid.

I can't see why a piece of oak (with the correct bevels for a tight fit) couldn't do the job until you get the real deal. You could drill some shallow holes to facilitate the two mount screws/bolts so as to make sure its doesn't slide out or move about. Its not as if you are putting on a 14" schmidt cassegrain on it. Just make sure you get a good comfortable fit.:D

James

Update re tube rings for Explorer OTAs.

I've just ordered a 200PDS from FLO, and apparently this does come with tube rings included. So I suppose chances are they're included with the 150 and 250 OTAs too.

I don't know about the dovetail yet ...

Archived