Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 127 SLT & SW 127 GOTO Questions

Hello all,

I presume these questions have been asked before, I wonder if anyone can point me to any threads regarding the differences between the 127 SLT and SW 127 Goto Maks?

I know that the OTA's are the same.

I know that the Celstron SLT has a more sophisticated allignment procedure.

But are there any differences between the mounts themselves? Is one more stable than the other? Any addtional features or ports separtating one model from the other?

When using the solar system allign of the Celestron, how is the tracking at high power (say 200x on Lunar).

When using the Skywatcher variant, if you just wanted to observe the moon, do you still have to do the 2 star allign or can you just allign it on the moon if you wish like the Celestron?

Many thanks!

As you say, both OTAs are identical. The mounts are slightly different in the alignment options, but I would always choose the '2 star align' option on either as it gives the best accuracy. If you are going to power the mount with batteries then the celestron houses these in the mount while the SW houses them in an external pouch. I believe the celestron comes with 25mm and 9mm EPs rather than the 25mm and 10mm with the SW.

My advise would be to save a bit of cash by getting the SW and put it towards EPs and the like. That's what I did anyway!

Oops, forgot stability... Not sure if one is any better than the other having only observed with the SW, but having seen them both side by side neither one seems to have any more bulk to it. Any difference I would assume is minor. Maybe someone with experience of both can answer that. I find the AZ goto to be adequate for the 127. I wouldn't want to put anything heavier on it and I imagine putting this scope on one if the old aluminium supatrak mounts must take a bit of the fun out of it.

Thanks TJR,

If you just wanted to observe the moon with your SW 127, can you allign it on just that for a quick (albeit rough) allignment? Or must you star allign each time regardless?

I've never tried... I have done observing without aligning at all before, just used the finderscope and mount controls to search manually, but it won't auto track objects like this.

Next time I'm observing I'll try it as you describe and let you know how I get on.

I bought from FLO, and despite the image on their website showing the grey model for the 127, it arrived as black diamond with schott glass. I think this might be standard now?

Archived