NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Red dot finder alignment

Been trying to align the RDF on my SW Heritage 130P. There is no problem aligning horizontally but I can't get the dot to go low enough even though it's at the end of it's adjustment range.

I'm doing everything by the book, locating a distant bright object - keeping one eye open etc. Am I doing something wrong or is this common and I'm expecting millimetre perfection?

Any suggestions?:)

You should be able to adjust it spot on, you might find the finder foot is a loose fit in the shoe. Try some sort of spacer under the back end before tightening the screw to tilt the whole thing forward a little. That might give you some adjustment.

You should be able to adjust it spot on, you might find the finder foot is a loose fit in the shoe. Try some sort of spacer under the back end before tightening the screw to tilt the whole thing forward a little. That might give you some adjustment.

Thanks topdude. I've got a sheet of 2 mm thin nylon somewhere so I'll make some shims to suit.

I'm not sure if I have posted this correctly at the end of my original post or whether I should have started a new thread, so I hope the Administrators will move it for me and forgive me if I got it wrong.

I knew that the rear end of the RDF had to go up a little but it was difficult to see how I could neatly and easily shim it. I then realised that an office paper staple was exactly the right shape to slide onto the bottom rear of the RDF dovetail mounting on the scope. I had some 12mm staples which luckily were exactly the right size and used 2 of them stacked on top of each other. I pinched the ends together slightly so that they would hold themselves to the mount and not fall off and then refitted the RDF.

The staples keep the back end of the RDF from settling down to the bottom of the dovetail mounting as I expected, forcing the front end down with the RDF clamp pressure keeping the staples firmly in place.

The RDF was then adjusted with the thumbwheel on the RDF and is now fully aligned and rock solid. So I just thought I'd post this in case it is of use to anyone else with the Heritage 130P

I'm not sure if I have posted this correctly at the end of my original post or whether I should have started a new thread, so I hope the Administrators will move it for me and forgive me if I got it wrong.

I knew that the rear end of the RDF had to go up a little but it was difficult to see how I could neatly and easily shim it. I then realised that an office paper staple was exactly the right shape to slide onto the bottom rear of the RDF dovetail mounting on the scope. I had some 12mm staples which luckily were exactly the right size and used 2 of them stacked on top of each other. I pinched the ends together slightly so that they would hold themselves to the mount and not fall off and then refitted the RDF.

The staples keep the back end of the RDF from settling down to the bottom of the dovetail mounting as I expected, forcing the front end down with the RDF clamp pressure keeping the staples firmly in place.

The RDF was then adjusted with the thumbwheel on the RDF and is now fully aligned and rock solid. So I just thought I'd post this in case it is of use to anyone else with the Heritage 130P

I believe it is good form when a post is marked as solved to thank other posters who replied and offered their help.

So thanks to all those who offered their advice . I'm a little embarrassed now that I didn't include my thanks when I posted my solution. I hope I am forgiven as I'm a real newcomer to forums and their etiquette and will now go and sit on the naughty step for 5 minutes as self-punishment! :)

Unless the sky clears, then I'm off out with my scope :D

Archived