Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lumicon 50mm Super Finder

Lumicon 50mm Super Finder

I bought the Lumicon finder from Astroshop in Germany for use with my Carton 100mm f/13 project as I wanted a finder that could be used either straight through or as a right angled correct image finder.

The finder can be changed from RA to straight through in a few seconds by removing the diagonal and extending the drawtube. The drawtube is also used for focusing. It's such a simple concept that I'm surprised companies such as Stellarvue, Synta etc. haven't caught on. It's a very solidly made finder with excellent optics. While the optics are similar to if not better than those in a Stellarvue finder, the build quality is far better and the Stellarvue is flimsy and cheap in comparison. The Lumicon has that hewn from a solid bar of metal feel to it.

I'm using an Omegon correct image prism diagonal with it. I did some direct comparison tests with a couple of the "standard" prism diagonals that come with most finders and a WO prism diagonal, and the Omegon is just so much brighter than any of them. Very sharp as well. I've tried the Omegon prism for regular night time observing in an 80mm APO and it will take higher magnification than you would expect. The brcket is a WO with brass thumbscrews and a Synta type foot.

The best 50mm finder I've ever used and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. While it is indeed expensive it'll last forever and it does the job of both an RA and a straight through finder.

SPECS

• Objective Lens: Fully Multi-Coated 50mm Achromatic Lens
  • Focal length: 200mm
  • Magnification: 8X
  • Field of View: 5.7°

PROs

• Excellent optics
  • Great build quality
  • RA or straight through
  • Fits regular 50mm finder bracket

CONs

• Heavy