NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

------> Beginner - Sky Map app

Hello People......

Complete beginner here I'm afraid and I know nowt!!

Thanks for the greeting in the Welcome bit I feel more at home now....

Someone mentioned the "Skywatcher 200p" which was just a little over my budget @ £430 as I did say between £200 - £300!!

But I'm willing to go that bit extra for the right one.

Having emailed my local astronomy club and got NO answer. How the hell do they keep or enroll members?

(I will not be deterred by their lack of communication) I shall have to go further afield methinks....

However I've just got the "SKY MAP" app for my Android and it's brilliant. I just point it at the sky and it tells me

where all the planets are..... Like an handheld Stellarium.

Still want to use my Canon Camera too....

So my next trip is to purchase the scope within the next two weeks unless anyone can add further to this thread??

Cheers Guys :)

Frank

As you're an Android user, I'd have to recommend skEye - like Sky Map, but more searchable objects and arranged into lists such as planets / stars/ Messiers etc. Plus it has a night vision mode.

Also astropanel for cloud cover/ seeing conditions.

I've heard good things about the 200p, so good luck.

If you wait for the 200P then good luck, however realise that getting the scope is the first part.

To maintain the scope you will need a collimator.

Within a short spell you will want 2 additional eyepieces.

So buying a scope below budget is a good idea, use the remainder of the budget on the accessories that you will need and want.

It is something that is not often pointed out.

I'm using the SW 200p/EQ5 for AP, I think it's a good choice and one of the cheapest options along with the SW 150PDS/eq3-2.

Quatermass seems to be the best at AP I've seen on here using a 200p/eq5. Have a look at his blog -

Star Gazing

or this thread on here. I learnt a lot from both

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/172701-guiding-conversion-project-200p-eq5.html

or if you have £20 spare, by "Every Photon Counts" (a bit of a bible on here) by Steve Richards, it's an easy to follow introduction to AP.

another vote for the SW 200p. i,v just bought one and glad i upped my budget to get it. I also use sky map on iPhone , great app, it gets you started much quicker than using star charts etc. After using sky map , you,ll find you get to know where things are, up there.

Fantastic guys..... I don't mind purchasing, it's whether I'm buying the right gear!

Even though our UK skies aren't up to much I'm hoping to be able to digest enough information before our summer...... eventually arrives!!

Archived