Have I Lost The Plot ?

Hi Guys. With a Newtonian Reflector you set your EQ mount to polaris and dont touch the alt/az again. You then use the Dec and RA to find what you are looking for..... Now excuse my dimness but when swinging your telescope around the skys enjoying all the wonders of the universe do you have to keep spinning the tube around in its clamps so the eye piece is at a useable angle without having to lie on ones back 18 inches off the floor ???? If so does this not upset the balance of the scope because the tube will move slightly up or down the mount rings, and wear nice shiney marks around you nice new shiney telescope :D

Basically, yes :D. After much experimentation though, I have now arrived at a scope rotation which suits everything I can look at - which from my viewing location means west of the meridian. I cant really see east because my house is in the way, so that's me sorted! :(.

You can buy or make a locking tube ring which rests just above the top tube ring which would allow you to slacken the 2 tube rings off and rotate the OTA more easily. There are a few threads on here somewhere where people describe how they've done this. Another alternative would be embroidery hoops, used in the same way.

Yes,

with a Newt on an EQ the eyepiece can end up in some very uncomfortable places. That is just one of the benefits of a Dobsonian mount :D

Actually on an EQ, you can align the focuser with the counter weight bar, then you can always reach the eyepiece, but this works best on bigger OTA's.

Archived