Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary Nebula's To Look For

Akyra

Probably most of you have already read July's (maybe even Augusts already?!) copy of AstronomyNow, well I have only just today finished reading it cover to cover. Anywhoo, there is a section called Focus which does exactly what it says on the tin, it centres its attention on a topic each issue. July's is Planetary Nebular. There are a few pages desribing their origins and how they were created, etc. Then there is a section titled Observing Planetary Nebula which tells you a bit of information about filters, etc. that help to view them, it also explains how filters work. Then there is a list of "12 Favourite Planetary Nebula" with pictures, the equipment used to produce the images, information and the RA/Dec values.

When the weather turns better I hope to go through this list and spot them all! Some look absolutely amazing, I know that they will not look like the images, but the descriptions say there is much detail available through pure visual work too.

Would you guys (who dont have a copy) like me to type up the listing and see how many you can find?

The downside with these PN doodahs is that they are nearly all tiny little things. The M27 & M57 ones are huge in comparison so be aware that they will take some finding.

I'd be interested in a list of their Messier, NGC or IC numbers as I can look them up in Starry Night and see how itsy bitsy they are.

Kaptain Klevtsov

1 - The Dumbbell Nebula [M27]

2 - Cat's Eye Nebula [NGS 6543]

3 - The Saturn Nebula [NGS 7009]

4 - The Ring Nebula [M57]

5 - The Eskimo Nebula [NGC 2392]

6 - IC 1295

7 - The Skull Nebula [NGC 246]

8 - NGC 2438

9 - Minkowski 1-79

10 - Jones 1

11 - The Medusa Nebula [Abell 21]

12 - The Helix Nebula [NGC 7293]

All descriptions of above PN's come with size's too, measured in arcseconds. Want those details too?

These are all middling targets in an 8". Haven't tried them in a 6", but I may with the F/9.5 when it clears. All of them are better with a UHC filter, except Abel 21.

A synopsis:

1-Everyone's seen-it's spectacular and the closest PN to us.

2-Smaller than expected, but long, slow observation reveals more detail.

3-Very small and bright. The brightness makes it challenging to see the "rings", but a filter helps.

4-Yeah, yeah.

5-Faint, small. Find the out-of-round shape first, then look for contrast differences.

6-Extremely diffuse against rich star field. Good luck with this one.

7-Listed at mv=8.5, I've skipped over this one repeatedly in search of. Easy to mistake it for the nearby galaxy Ngc 255.

8-Good one! Stuck inside/in front of M46.

9-AKA PK-93+2.1. Rectangular shaped, but extremely faint.

10-UHC a must. mv=12.6 good luck, it's just the outside edges of a ring, not connected.

11-Maybe see it in HA, but I doubt it.

12-Helix is great! UHC brings lots of detail.

All of these are photogenic, but mostly small, so be prepared. Planetary Nebulae are a pet project of mine, but I lack aperture for any real study. Maybe once the 16" is up I'll give it a go. You need lots of aperture and magnification to observe them, which means a tracking mount.

Archived