NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focus tube damaged

Right, an annoying problem!!

Tonight i was trying to focus on Saturn, which i eventually did, and i noticed the focus wheels were juddery, anyway i have taken the assembly apart and the little teeth on the tube are virtually flat right near the end of travel, i have got it working as a temporary measure but am now in need of a new tube assy. Anyone know where i can get one from, have tried FLO but all the seem to list are upgrades, ABS, i couldn't see anything.

Is there anywhere else that can be recommended for either new or used spares (or has anybody on here upgraded their assy recently and got a spare one). I'm not bothered about upgrading yet so the standard 1.25" skywatcher one will be fine.

Have you thought about contacting Optical Vision Limited as they are the sole importer of the Skywatcher brand? I had a look on their website here regarding available focusers, some of which appear to be standard types as well of course the usual upgrades. Might be worth seeing if they have a damaged scope somewhere with the part that you want.

Clear skies

James

Have you thought about contacting Optical Vision Limited

Many thanks for your help, i have contacted OVL, heard back today and apparently they dont have anything in stock and the scopes are on order with a 2.5 month wait :D

Oh well, back to the drawing board and think again

Why dont you just put a small extension tube in between the ep and the focuser tube.

That way you will not need to rack the focuser out so far and avoid the bad teeth.

Nice thinking :D

On some focusers the Rack is held in place by a screws and can be "reversed"...

Peter...

Hi. On my 130 the teeth are part of the plastic tube. If you dismantle the focuser mechanism by removing the two little screws you should just be able to pull it all the way out and flip it over. That's assuming yours is the same as mine...

Thanks for all the advice,

Marshy123 on my tube i cant flip the tube around as one end has a brass plate screwed on where as the opposite end isn't threaded to accept it.

think i might go with steelfixers solution for now as i have my eye on a brand new SW scope with the same focusing assy, if i get it the assy will be swapped over and the kids will get the other scope (might stop mine getting damaged)

Archived