Another EP question.

Hi All

I am waiting for a Tal x2 barlow to arrive, but continue to read on here about the massive importance of quality eyepieces. I have the 10mm and 25mm supplied EP's, but would like to add a 15mm to my collection. Looked at the Vixen NPL range which is about right for my budget, but no idea on quality.

Any thoughts or experience you are able to share would be great.

Thanks, Lee.

Quality EPs are not massively important. Many outstanding discoveries were done with very poor EPs by modern standards. Quality EPs are a lot more fun to look through, once you have enough time behind the scope. Vixen EPs have a good rep, I have used a couple and liked them a lot. I only replaced them when I could afford even better ones, with wider FOV. If your scope was supplied with Plossl EPs, they are quite often OK, if the are labelled MA-10 and MA-25 (modified achromat), they are not that good (in particular the MA-10).

I've use my 10mm EP that was supplied with my skywatcher with the x2 Barlow I got to and had some very good clear images of the Moon and Mars. Only used my scope a few times so not really had chance to view anything further a field yet, but from a noob perspective they were good. And will do me until I've saved for some better ones. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Archived