Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrade path help

Davie

Hello all,

I'm gradually buying what I would like over a period of time to upgrade the 130 explorer on the EQ2 mount I had. At the minute I have upgraded the mount to a HEQ5 Pro and I'm still using the 130. Now what I would like to end up with is a 200PDS being guided by either using the 10x50 finder or by putting a second hand small refractor piggy backed onto it. I think putting another scope on the back might be better so I can leave the finder alone apart from the obvious gain in weight.

The question is do I get the bigger scope first or do I get the guiding gear and play about with that?

I hope that makes sense :)

Cheers in advance

Davie

I'd invest in some lightweight guide rings for a 9x50 finder guider and pop a 200 explorer on there.

I've got a 150P and a 9x50 finder guider and it's rock solid, I can usually find a decent star to guide from without many issues.

I think a 200P and something like an ST80 for guiding would probably push this to the heavy side making guiding problematic.

Badger should be able to help you out with "how to persuade the boss" or simply avoid it all together and just do what he did :)

My day of reckoning comes on Friday when the boss gets back :)

I'd agree that guiding is key, so I'd focus on getting a finder/guider setup going on the 130P first perhaps. Once you are happy that's working you can practice and think about the scope upgrade.

Thanks for the replys!

I wrote out a fairly long response but the works computer ate it, so this time I'll keep it short :)

Looking at 8" reflectors I've seen two that I quite fancy, the 200 PDS and theres also these which look the same but not 100% sure on that.

Altair Astro

and

Teleskop Service

are there any others to consider? Ive seen a good review on here of the F4 version of the one on Altair Astro but not one on the F5.

Oh and I'll be using this for visual as well as AP.

Any pointers welcome

Thanks again :)

Davie

Archived