NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to use SLRs for Astrophotos?

Csuka

Ok so i wan't to start doing some astrophotography but i don't know much about SLRs.

I heard that you must be able to take the lens out of the SLR and you need a T ring and a T adapter.

My SLRs lens isn't removable so will i need to buy a different one? If so what would be a good but not to expensive SLR to buy?

Thanks

-Dan

If you just want the camera for Astro work then you can buy just the body without any lenses. The Canon 1100D is the entry level camera of choise at about £300 new. You could try the second hand market and go for either the 1100D or its predecessor the 1000D.

I'm after the same answer. I can get my hands on a 550D for a night or two. What do you need to connect the camera to the telescope. Do you simply remove the Camera lense, connect the t-piece adapter and then insert it into the telescope?

A walk through would be helpful if anybody has a spare minute or two... :)

I'm after the same answer. I can get my hands on a 550D for a night or two. What do you need to connect the camera to the telescope. Do you simply remove the Camera lense, connect the t-piece adapter and then insert it into the telescope?

A walk through would be helpful if anybody has a spare minute or two... :)

It depends on the scope TBH. If it is a Skywatcher newt, the focuser may have the direct camera connection, which means you just need a Canon T-ring. Other wise, you'll need a nosepiece as well - either 1.25" or 2" depending on your focuser. Ther are some threads with pics knocking about on SGL, but I'm on my phone ATM and it's difficult to search.

Should be a piece of cake then! :) check that the 2 to 1.25" adapter in the focuser separates into two pieces - the barrel unscrews. If it does, then you just need a Canon t-ring without a nosepiece. Then screw the t-ring onto the T2 thread on the focuser adapter. Job done! :)

Should be a piece of cake then! :) check that the 2 to 1.25" adapter in the focuser separates into two pieces - the barrel unscrews. If it does, then you just need a Canon t-ring without a nosepiece. Then screw the t-ring onto the T2 thread on the focuser adapter. Job done! :)

so you don't need to remove the lens?

so you don't need to remove the lens?

The camera lens is removed and then the telescope becomes the lens of the camera. For a Canon DSLR you will need an appropriate t ring First Light Optics - T Rings, The camera body then attaches to the focuser adapter. This video

shows how to do it.

For cameras with fixed lenses you need to take pictures through the telescope eyepiece.

Peter

The camera lens is removed and then the telescope becomes the lens of the camera. For a Canon DSLR you will need an appropriate t ring First Light Optics - T Rings, The camera body then attaches to the focuser adapter. This video
shows how to do it.

For cameras with fixed lenses you need to take pictures through the telescope eyepiece.

Peter

I tried that last night but couldn't get any detial, my iphone camera did a much better job than my SLR, do you need an adapter to get good pics on cameras with non removable lenses?

You can also take great pictures with the lens, no scope. Great images are taken with 100mm/200mm teles. You still need to mount the camera plus lens on a tracking mount though. The advantage of lenses is they are much faster and lighter than most telescopes.

Archived