NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IR/UV cut filter, when to use?

Hi All,

Wasn't 100% sure where to put his one....

Only filter I own, or ever owned, is an IR/UV cut filter. It was bought specifically for experimenting with a webcam a while ago after removing the lens also removed the IR cut filter.

Now I'm getting into imaging again, I would like to know when to and when not to use the filter. Is there a rule?

Imaging with an unmodded DSLR, which has an IR cut filter built, I don't use it, but would any situation benefit with it fitted?

More importantly, I have a mono DMK on its way without an IR cut filter. This is when I think it'll become important, but when?

I image everything, planets, solar, DSO etc. through an achromat, apochromat, Mak and PST. Solar especially white light confuses me. With solar film? With Herschel wedge?

Confused.com

Ian

With refractors, any object, use the UV-IR cut ( or rely on the one in the DSLR)

This minimises the effects of UV "bloat" and any excess IR leakage....

I only dump the UV-IR filter for spectroscopy; where I need access to these wavelengths.

Archived