NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomical League - European/British equivalent?

itlee

I have been looking at the Astronomical Leagues' Oberserving Programs as a great way to explore the sky and to add another geeky certificate to my wall :)

I live in Switzerland and do not speak French, so joining a local astronomy group would be extremely difficult and frustrating for me, so was considering joining the AL as a member-at-large i.e. independent, but just wondered if there is an equivalent european/british society?

itlee.

I looked round some years ago and I couldn't locate anything based in the UK. Bit disappointed that we had nothing for beginners to have a go at.

There was one based in Ireland, cannot give the name as the PC it was on is dead and I cannot get at any information, it maybe's out of a university there. The other was the RASC, Canadian.

No idea if there is a Eurpoean option as I didn't search for one in Europe.

The one I had in mind for Ireland was:

Index of /~astro2/IFASData

This is their binocular handbook:

http://www.minds.may.ie/~astro2/IFASData/IFASBinocularHandbook.pdf

I have tried reducing the link down to www.minds.may..ie but that doesn't give the page/intro I seem to recall.

The IFAS I have just found as well.

Sorry but there seems to be no UK certificate system via any Astro body in the UK which I think is a negative aspect.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived