Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomers Without Borders

Squagnut

Has anyone come across Astronomers Without Borders before? It seems to me they're very much worthwhile.

One scheme they run is a 'buy one donate one' scheme (we're talking telescopes here, an 80mm refractor), in which if you buy a telescope for slightly above the normal retail price, the retailer donates an identical telescope to a beneficiary which could otherwise not afford it. Click for more info on that. It may be impracticable for UK/Europe-based retailers to get on board, as astro kit is usually more expensive here anyway due to import duties, but even so, it's a great scheme.

Always a bit sceptical about these sort of schemes and how they work. I mean, if a scope costs you £300 and you pay a few more quid for it, lets say £320, who in their right mind is going to donate a second scope worth another £300 when all they get is £20? If they can do that, then I would want the scope for just £20 in the first place!

Always a bit sceptical about these sort of schemes and how they work. I mean, if a scope costs you £300 and you pay a few more quid for it, lets say £320, who in their right mind is going to donate a second scope worth another £300 when all they get is £20? If they can do that, then I would want the scope for just £20 in the first place!

The only telescope model in the scheme is an 80mm refractor, retailing at US$169.95. It does not apply to all telescopes. AWB appreciate that retailers are running a business, but this scheme will just take off some of their profit.

The point is that you can afford to buy a telescope at full retail price, and want to help people who can't. If this doesn't describe you then never mind.

Who in their right mind? Kind people, that's who. Kindness is not a sort of insanity.

My mistake, sorry.

I thought this was a forum for astronomy enthusiasts.

easy on there dude- your in the right place :icon_salut:

i think people are naturally scpetical of such deals, as in this world, people have to make a living, and thats hard enough

i think it is a good idea- i am very poor myself -however i feel lucky to own a scope- as basic as it is

and to the comment above-i do not think theyre intending donating these to starving people- theyre for schools, clubs etc

i think it also stands to reason that even without the extra 20- the scopes must be priced much higher than usual store prices for that type of low level scope, for a higher profit margin

rich

and to the comment above-i do not think theyre intending donating these to starving people- theyre for schools, clubs etc

e prices for that type of low level scope, for a higher profit margin

rich

It was a joke, I thought it was obvious.

Great idea. Lots of astronomers give things freely, usually their time and knowledge, and if some are able to give cash too then that's a fine thing. I already have an 80mm scope and don't need another, but if I did, and if this scheme was feasible for UK customers, then I'd support it.

Meanwhile I'll stick to giving time and knowledge.:icon_salut:

Details from the website:

Through a partnership with CanadianTelescopes.com and Woodland Hills Telescopes you can now purchase a new, high-quality 80mm achromatic short tube refracting telescope, with a solid tripod and mount, at a great price and have a second one donated to a school, astronomy club, planetarium or other deserving group that conducts educational programs.2-for-1-scope.jpg

hey man im not arguing with you, its not that easy to tell over the internet whether something's a joke or not, so i was just pointing it out to the OP as well

Sorry Rich, I did think that afterwards, no worries.

I'm not sure a starving Somalian is going to want to get into Stargazing.

I appreciate this was meant as a joke, but there's evidently some genuine interest in astronomy in Somalia: here are some words you might find useful if you ever go there.

Astronomy = Xiddiga'aqoonta

Astronomers = ogaalyahannada xiddigo-aqoonta

Satellite = Dayaxgacmeed

Navigation Satellites = Hagidda dayaxgacmeedyada

Space Exploration = Sahminta fagaagga sare adduunka

Earth-based observatories = Rugaha kuurgalka fagaagga dhulkaku Saldhigan

Research Centres = Rugo cilmibaaris

Spacecraft = Gaadiidka Cir-maaxidda

Spaceships = Maraakiibta cir-maaxidda

Robot Vehicle = Alaadaha dadoobisan

Telescope = Doorbin

Mirror = Biladdaye

Lenses = Quraarada cadaska

Zoom = Waxweyneynta

Observatories = Rugo-kuurgal

Astro-Physics in AF-Somali

Hi All,

I'm glad to see the discussion here about one of our new programs in Astronomers Without Borders (thanks Squagnut). I can appreciate the skepticism as well -- businesses aren't created to give things away. Some of the posters here speculated that these business owners just want to do the right thing and forgo profits to make this program possible, and they got it right. In fact, the two owners of the two retail establishments involved are on our board and have been dedicated to getting Astronomers Without Borders (AWB) going since the beginning a few years ago.

It's also correct that the donated telescopes go to clubs and schools in developing countries where they can't afford them, and couldn't get ahold of them anyway if they could (sorry symesie04 :) ). Starving Somalis might have greater needs but there are plenty of others (I'm sure in Somalia as well, one of the few countries where I don't think we have members). How about an isolated mountain area of Tanzania? See Telescopes To Tanzania -- The Rest of the Story. We've contributed to this program, which is expanding and coming under AWB's aegis. There's interest in the night sky everywhere, and it's an opportunity to learn science and be connected with others through that common passion that exists everywhere.

If you want to contribute to this program but don't need another telescope, donate them both. That option isn't on the page yet but it's available. Let us know or put a note in the order form, which is read by real humans. If you'd like one for yourself (good quality achromat, solid mount, and a good deal itself), shipping is worldwide.

And of course you can always join us (free), or become a supporting member to help.

Membership

Or just help spread the word about anything above to others. This is a global community effort. Check out Global Astronomy Month 2012 at Global Astronomy Month 2012. I led 100 Hours of Astronomy in IYA2009 and GAM is a followup to keep that huge event going and bring more attention to our year-round programs.

Thanks, and clear skies,

Mike Simmons

President

Astronomers Without Borders

Wow - thanks for that, Mike. I was not expecting the president of AWB to respond to this thread!

For a little bit of background, in the 1990s I did a few years of humanitarian aid work, primarily in the Balkans. Today, one of my colleagues there, a Croatian currently living and working in Mostar, Bosnia, posted on Facebook an AWB event which she's helping organise in Mostar next weekend. If my past experience of Mostar is anything to go by, the majority of people there who could afford a telescope wouldn't be much interested in astronomy. I had never heard of AWB before this morning. The more I look, the more I like.

I appreciate that many people feel sceptical or even cynical about this kind of thing, but from what I can see, it's all about what it says it's all about, and as such deserves the support, even if just in spirit, of astronomers all over.

Thanks once again for the support. I don't blame anyone for being skeptical but I hope they'll also check us out. Check my bio under People as well if you want to see how I've been involved in things like this my whole life.

As for the president responding, you have no idea how few of us are running this organization. AWB has caught on over the last two years like nothing I've ever seen before, and we're lagging way behind in raising funds to run all that's developed. I mentioned our need for funding in my first post but most people seem to think we're doing OK because of all we do. The fact is we don't have a regular income stream or the necessary staff, so Supporting Members and new fund-raising programs are key to getting us up to where we can at least do some real fund-raising and make all this sustainable. We're almost entirely volunteer at this point (including me so far, retired from my career) and barely raising the money to make needed improvements on our website (which include using the website traffic to raise funds!).

I hope others will check us out and help spread the word as well.

Mike

Archived