Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 90 Lenses

stuffedhaggis

Hey guys

Not long got in to the whole looking at the sky game lol.

I purchased a Skymax 90. Had a good few views of Jupiter and its moons, Venus , Moon and what i think is Mars. But they are not always the Sharpest. I have a 10 mm and 25 mm Lenses that came with the Scope. The scope has a EQ Mount.

Can any recomned no expensive ways i can get better images . I dont mind buying a few leses if i have too . Plus has any one got any ideas how i could hook up my Nikon D3000 to my new toy ?

The 'lenses' you are talking about are called eyepieces. The lens on the Skymax is the corrector lens in the front of the scope.

You should be able to improve you view with some better eyepieces such as these Vixen NPLs. First Light Optics - Vixen

Image sharpness can be affected by many factors such as telescope optics, eyepieces, collimation, magnification and atmospheric condition.

The eyepieces that came with telescopes are generally quite poor. Replacing them with good plossl eyepiece should give you a sharper image. However, you also need to understand there is a limit to how much you scope can magnified, beyond which you will just get a enlarged blurred image.

I'd suggest you get the 15 and 10mm NPL which will give you 83x and 125x, in addition to the 25mm (50x) you already have. If you have money left, you can consider a decent 2x barlow lens.

First Light Optics - Tal 2x and 3x Barlows

The barlow will double the magnification of your eyepieces, so the 25mm will give 100x with the barlow and the 15mm will give 167x.

No problem with the scope, our Scottish friend, was my first one too. Have a look at Sky's the Limit for reasonable priced eyepieces. Have a chat with Alan and see what he suggests.

Archived