Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

losing dimensionsthis is something that has be a bit baffeled in space

freeflyjay your right and i am wrong, the roundabout is a great example, thank you for putting me right :). the silly thing is when i was younger i went in the wall of death on my bike and once i hit my target speed i hit a toggle switch to keep that speed so i was thinking i knew the force but i was not thinking right at all. did you ever go on the Mexican hat ride. you get a mixture of both forces or g if you like. the centrifugal and straight line g. would that be the same for the astronauts in a spinning craft.

yes tony, being in space would make no difference, the gravity on earth is not needed and an entirely different force. the artificial gravity via centrifugal force has been seen in many scifi films 2010 for one if i remember correctly and would work, although if you had windows would probably cause disorientation

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still can't quite get my head around newtons experiment with the spinning bucket of water. Yes it forms a dish in the water, while the static bucket exhibits no dish effect, so how does the water know to do that ? It's almost like the experiment is another quantum double slit experiment.

the spinning water effect is initially started by the friction of the water against the bucket, once the water is moving centrifugal force pushes the water outwards, there are other forces at work but i donn`t feel like writing an essey at the moment,with no friction the effect would not be seen but that of course is imposable. regarding gravity it is basically a distortion of space time unless you want to argue with Einsteins proven theories, there is no universal time, time is not a constant, this has to be taken into account with gps satellites, if you were floating in deep space eventually you could end up with small rocks orbiting you.

I still can't quite get my head around newtons experiment with the spinning bucket of water. Yes it forms a dish in the water, while the static bucket exhibits no dish effect, so how does the water know to do that ? It's almost like the experiment is another quantum double slit experiment.

the spinning water effect is initially started by the friction of the water against the bucket, once the water is moving centrifugal force pushes the water outwards, there are other forces at work but i donn`t feel like writing an essey at the moment,with no friction the effect would not be seen but that of course is imposable. regarding gravity it is basically a distortion of space time unless you want to argue with Einsteins proven theories, there is no universal time, time is not a constant, this has to be taken into account with gps satellites, if you were floating in deep space eventually you could end up with small rocks orbiting you.

The friction is gravitational is it not ? In zero gravity there would be no friction and the water would remain still ?

Yes I didn't mean universal constant time, just distinguishing it from a linear version. Gravity as a distortion of space time is exactly it but the mass that appears in the distortion isn't the cause, it's the effect.

Archived