Using a Dobsonian

I think most beginners must go through the small goto / large dob dilemma. As every other 200p owner has said, it is very unlikely that you will be disappointed with this scope - nudging is no problem at all, even for a rank amateur like me.

You might put your back out moving the 200p though - I haven't worked out the best way to get it through doorways yet! Wouldn't swap it though.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Heritage 130p. You can pick it up (carefully of course) in one hand. Plonk it outside to cool (if you can be bothered to wait :icon_salut:), and you're off and running. It also goes in the back of the car in one piece.

I recently bought a 150pl on an EQ3-2 mount. It certainly looks the business and will be useful for very basic imaging, but I'm now looking to make a dob mount for it !

Thanks to all you Dobbers! What can I BEST invest £350 on? I'm thinking SkyLiner 200P plus Red-Spot, intermediate eyepieces and laser collimation tool. What a great community this is!

Thanks to all you Dobbers! What can I BEST invest £350 on? I'm thinking SkyLiner 200P plus Red-Spot, intermediate eyepieces and laser collimation tool. What a great community this is!

that was about my budget 4 weeks back, managed to get a 250p with 5 eyepieces ( 2 very nice ones) a laser collimator and a 2x barlow for £330 all only a year old and mint, quite pleased for a first scope, since brought a baader filter, laser pointer, compass and a camera mount for my compact and still well under 400, find what you want and have a search there can be some good buys out there, if you know what you want. you donn`t have to buy new!, nudging is easy and even the 250 isn`t unwieldy or that heavy, i can even get it in a saxo!

I'd recommend a cheshire, unless you're gonna spend decent money on a laser... the cheaper ones can do more harm than good.

But yeah for that price you could get a new 200p,cheshire, rdf, and an 8mm bst. The 25mm that comes with the scope is fine, and 8mm is perfect for high power viewing. Save up and get a decent barlow next month and you're pretty set, then it's just a case of getting a feel for focal lengths and characteristics you want in eyepieces.

Alternatively you might be able to pick up a second hand 250p with some decent accessories for a similar price, if you're patient and don't mind buying second hand.

As long as the laser is checked and is adjustable then it will be fine, you don't have to pay a fortune, I paid £27 for mine and it works just fine and I have tested it against a Baader laser and it was the same. The one thing with a laser is at least you can check it's out but what if a cheshire is not in spec? You can't really test it you just have to take a chance. Nearly all of the second generation type of laser are adjustable for brightness and collimation and more and more mainstream dealers are selling them. I would say if you know what you're doing then you will be ok but you can make just as big a mess with a cheshire if you don't.

And of course now I have made the decision to Dob, even finding s/h ones in my budget is becoming more and more difficult. Thanks very much everyone, I will add a Wixey to my list!

Success (well a start at least)! Found a 5 month old one that I pick top Monday. I am looking at an Antares laser collimator and a Baader rdfs initially then star-jump until I get a Wixey and perhaps either a 2x Barlow or a zoom eyepiece. Any other comments / suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks everyone! I'm picking up a 5 month old Skyliner 200P on Monday (all being well) with the basic supplied EP's. Thinking ahead, I have seen a Celestron zoom EP, anyone used one? I also feel a redspot finder and a laser collimator will be necessary then perhaps a Wixey & setting circles (the home produced ones look fine).

This is where I start asking all the idiot questions you note! I already have Stellarium on my laptop but haven't worked out how to get the best out of it as, when I display South, East is right and not left. I have Star Walk on my iPad and that seems better with the sun setting in the west. What have I got wrong ?

Archived