Exmoor and other dark skies?

Evening All. As I wait for my recent order of a Startravel 120 to arrive, I thought I'd pop on and ask another question of you more experienced sky watchers. What experience do you all have of Dark Sky spots such as the one on Exmoor? How much difference does it make and are there regular events at such places where novices like me can join up? I am about to join my local astronomers club as well.

Hi OH and welcome to the forum. Never been to Exmoor but going to any dark sky site is a real treat if you live in even a moderately light polluted area - I'm sure you'd have a great time = even better if you had some company to go with at least the first time

cheers

Steve

Hi Orange Haze, I live in Bideford and have often thought about packing the kit up to drive to Exmoor (say 30 mins trip for us). I think I will wait until I am a bit more familiar with the new scope OR for a really good seeing night when I can be sure it will have maximum effect.

How far away are you & where is the club you are looking to join ? I'm asking as I may look at joining them if it were North Devon.

Will be watching this thread for what others can say.

Hi Eastridge. I'm down on the south coast of Devon and am planning to join the observers club at the Norman Lockyer observatory nearby. Exmoor is more like an hours drive for me but always willing to travel if the viewing is good. Expecting my new scope to arrive in the next couple of days.

Be interested to find out if planned events every take place up there or any other dark sky areas in the South West. Imagine it may be a bit of a lonely night on Exmoor if on my own!

Hi Orange Haze, I live in Bideford and have often thought about packing the kit up to drive to Exmoor (say 30 mins trip for us). I think I will wait until I am a bit more familiar with the new scope OR for a really good seeing night when I can be sure it will have maximum effect.

How far away are you & where is the club you are looking to join ? I'm asking as I may look at joining them if it were North Devon.

Will be watching this thread for what others can say.

Im not too far away from you (Winkleigh) and there are some nice dark spots this way :icon_salut:

There used to be a Astro Society in Barnstaple , not sure if its still going though North Devon Astronomical Society .It may be worth contacting them

HTH

Hi Eastridge. I'm down on the south coast of Devon and am planning to join the observers club at the Norman Lockyer observatory nearby. Exmoor is more like an hours drive for me but always willing to travel if the viewing is good. Expecting my new scope to arrive in the next couple of days.

Be interested to find out if planned events every take place up there or any other dark sky areas in the South West. Imagine it may be a bit of a lonely night on Exmoor if on my own!

When you go to NLO on a Friday night, you could make it known you are interested in Exmore dark sky site - there a number of NLO members who live and are involved up that way.

Hi OrangeHaze

Lots of good places for dark sites in the SW as long as you don't mind a bit of a drive.

The darkest place is Hartland Quay which is just up the coast from Bude, it has a LM of 6.74. I've been there once and to be honest there was that many stars that I found it tricky to pick out constellations but very rewarding as soon as you figured out what you were looking at!:icon_salut:

A couple links to help you avoid light pollution and point you in the right direction -

need-less light pollution

Blue Marble Navigator - Night Lights 2010

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/pl/uk/index.html

I'm not a member of any Astro society or club but always goto dark sites on my own. I tend to get so engrossed in what I'm doing that I've never even thought of getting lonely but I can see the obvious benefits of going a club.

Best of luck and clear skies.

Archived