I've had a scope and join this since the 31st march 2012 but have spent an unknown amout of time looking in to the sky some times lead on the ground just watching and chilling. The only book I have is "Cosmos: A Journey to the Beginning of Time and Space" which is about A3 in size but very cool.

Had a scope when I was little but my sister put it in the bath which didnt do it any good.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had a scope when I was little but my sister put it in the bath which didnt do it any good.

Isn't that how we all clean our mirrors and lenses? ;):eek:

I hope you've asked her not to do it again!

TLAO is great - what, where, when and interesting info about the object which for me = why!

I spent two nights looking for M81 & M82 using the TLAO method, posted on here that I couldn't find them, and Double Kick Drum (a user on here) gave me an alternate route - which I followed and found the galaxies within 10 minutes.

So as LukeSkywatcher says, the book is good but supplement it with questions on here. This place is great :icon_salut::D

Although on nights like tonight I wonder if it should be renamed cloudwatcherslounge.com B)

im in a similar position to you si, ive had mine about 6 weeks now but due to weather and a broken finder havent used it much, but im always keen to learn...

after seeing it mentioned so many times on here i think its time i invested in turn left at orion... seems everyone loves it

The scope is you have is a fair start, it is easy to use and requires little (no) maintenance.

The eyepieces you have may not be the best but that is what you have. Perhaps keep an eye out for a few used alternatives, try UK Astro Buy and Sell for a few plossl's.

Next really is to sit down, locate some sources of information and determine what is:

a) up there,

:) bright enough for you to see.

c) worth giving a try for

At the present time the main constellations are:

Leo, Bootes, Ursa Major, Gemini, and the other circumpolar ones.

Find out what is in them, write it down on a bit of paper. Amazing useful stuff.

One source of information is Wikipedia, try "list of messier objects", you can save the list and sort by constellation, or search for a messier list by constellation.

Here is a list of double stars that have a decent colour difference:

Astronomical Data - Colored Double Stars

See how many you can locate and see, tick them off.

Another place for what to look at is:

The Astronomical League

Have a look at Observe - Observing Programs.

Try the Binocular Messier Program for your scope, should be about right for your scope.

Before you go and get something else get used to the one you have and ignore the need to go bigger. Some time on CN there was a post by someone "critising" those that started with a 60mm scope, an almost immediate reply was that a 60mm scope may not be the best to start with, but it very often is/was the one that very many people did start with.

You have a 70mm scope, it may be the first rung of the ladder, but it will show a lot more then your eyeballs will.

Also if you get the chance to look round the buy and sell sites look at how fast a WO Megrez 72mm scope always gets snapped up. You may not have the ED glass but you have one the same size. So 70mm isn't that bad.

back on the book front, i just brought the eyewitness companion astronomy by ian ridpath from dk. seems to cover everything the beginner needs, has history,equipment and starmaps for the months(northern and southern hemi's)and detailed constellation maps plus planet and moon guides. all fairly pocket sized.

( Astronomy - Ian Ridpath - Dorling Kindersley )

Archived