Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cracking clarity.

cotterless45

Last night was a Lunar clarity evening! I went up to x400 just to see if it was feasible. I sat for a few hours and drifted along the terminator. The amount of changing detail was amazing.

Plato showed super wall detail with Mons Pico and the Tenerife mountains giving lovely shadows at 100x.

Aristillus showed it's hummocky ejecta and it's craggy outline, the result of existing fractures.

Copernicus was packed with detail and multiple shadows at 200x, with ridges to the Montes Carpatus and deep shadow in Gay Lussac.

Before setting out,I check on a lunar map to find the terminator position and note the position/size/details of features. I then do a drawing at the eyepiece, nice.

We had the 150pl and the Orion 200 out.The SW gave a more contrasty view with the eyepieces swapped around. All my gear comes from fleabay/Astrobuy. Some have had a hard life or hardly been used . We're lucky to have such a good Moon, enjoy.

Clear skies, Nick.

Archived