Well i finally put the Skywatcher 130M together and i have to say what a nightmare, how difficult is that scope to put together !!!

If there is anyone in the lancashire area who has a 130M please let me know it would be good to compare notes and see if i have done it right??;)

It's even more of an **** to use, the mount is a pain, I spend more time fighting the mount than I do looking through the scope, shame as the OTA is a perfectly good tube, let down by a **** mount. Personally I wish I'd got it on an alt/az mount or a dob.

Having said all that, I have seen some great things through it and I'm now hooked, just time to mOve on to a better scope.

This is why we repeatedly recommend Dobsonians to beginners. Unless you're taking astrophotos there is likely no good reason for an equatorial mount. If you are taking photos then you will want to spend a lot of money on a *nice* mount.

Take your time and realy learn the mount. It's not that bad once it's all set up properly. I had it and it took me a few sessions before it all clicked and was simple to use after that.

Good luck ;)

i have to say i disgree with umadog ...FLO did everything to dis the dob and recommedned the 130M and it's mount and i am sure it will be great hence the brilliant reviews. The visuals from the tube are exceptional ...dont get me wrong. It's just a fiddle to set up for a beginner.

Glad to hear that FLO recomended the cheaper setup for a beginer rather than chasing the cash. I enjoyed my 130m and am happy knowing that it is now being used and enjoyed by a kid in a wheelchair. I thought it was an excellent scope and both the scope and the mount were a good proper introduction into stargazing. Fair enough the mounts no the best but if it turns out you cant be fussed with astronomy then at least you havent wasted a fortune. Likewise your more likely to be more out off trying to understand a bigger mount and get fed up at the weight you have to move anytime you go observing.

I started small (76mm) and worked my way up (114 then 130 and 127 and now near unused 150) and would recommend anyone to do the same. until aperture fever grips you anyway :icon_salut:

cheers boasta good advice ..iam already looking at the 200 P Dob as my next move may be in 12 months or so

Aperture fever got you already lol

I am half heartedly trying to save for 200p on eq5 but seem to buy all sorts of other bits and bobs instead. Then again I realy am happy with my mak so might try for a bigger version but they get scary costly even gaining an inch.

Archived