Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone seem impacts

Si Rollett

I remember there was a couple of guys who monitored the moon during one of the meteor showers. They managed to detect some flashes from impacts but they were not very obvious. That is most likely due to the impactors being rather small.

I think this was widely reported earlier on today.

A slab like object was alleged to have been spotted on the moon. Somewhere in the Tycho area I believe.

Measurements indicate it to have been approximately 11m long and dark in appearance.

An object of this description was last seen 11 years ago.....

Just started really and a complete new to all this and the moon is the easiest thing to start with having a small power scope. So would know were to start at the moment. Plus it is a cool thing to view.

Hi si rollet,

At least you got a scope, so your on the ladder, don,t ever step off cus you,ll regret it. there is an awful lot to see up there and plenty of equipment to be had, even second hand, so when you,ve had some fun with the 70mm. try and get a bigger scope you,ll be really wowed how much more you can see ,

have fun dan

A lunar occultation occurs when the moon passes in front of a star. If the occultation is on the dark limb, it seems to 'wink out' instantly. I watched the moon pass in front of the Pleiades a couple of years ago. It was pretty spectacular, watching the stars go out one by one, to appear later as the Moon passed.

Archived