searching for local group

Hi there,

I noticed one of your members asking if there were any groups near

Bishops Stortford Herts, I am in the same area, and wondered if they found anywhere. (sorry I didn't take the persons name in time, my p.c. shut down)

many thanks

If you mean Astro Clubs then I think there are not any that close to Bishops Stortford.

There are clubs around Bishops Stortford - Cambridge, Letchworth, Hertford, Loughton and maybe Braintree (not sure). But nothing in Bishops Stortfoed as best I know.

Think there are few people on SGL from Gt Dunmow and Braintree, they may meet up ocasionally, or be willing to meet up occasionally.

Hi and welcome to SGL

There are several clubs in the Herts area, I belong to Letchworth & District Astronomical Society (www.ldas.org.uk) but there are others. Not sure about the East Herts area so you might want to look at Essex instead.

If you type 'fedastro' into a search engine you will get the Federation of Astronomical Societies. Click on the Member Societies link and search by county.

HTH!

I am from BS but now live in Dunmow. The North Essex Astronomy Society is only up the road from you and much nearer than some of the places being mentioned in Herts. We do monthly stargazing events at the Discovery Centre at Notley Park (weather permitting) and that is tonight! Its about 20 mins from you up the A120. Its free and a good way to meet. The club has an awesome observatory and dark sky location about 40 mins from BS! I am new to it but found them very friendly.

Hi all

I am one of the aforementioned NEAS crowd, also from Dunmow. Quite a few people showed up at last night's cloudgazing activity - thanks to all that did. We're thinking of changing the arrangement because a handful of hopefuls always turn up, even when it's blanket cloud. We did get a fleeting glimpse of the Moon and handed out some advice to a couple of people who brought telescopes. We're thinking along the lines of stargazing if clear, and a telescope workshop/Q&A if cloudy, and only cancel if it's raining. We just need to consult with the park first to make sure it's agreeable with the staff there. It would save a lot of last minute deliberations as to whether or not we should cancel. Watch this space!

I think we are the closest club to Bishops Stortford. We have one or two members as far afield as Stansted and Newport, and a few around Dunmow. Come along to one of our meetings - our next public meeting is on 18th April at Rivenhall End near Witham and the next stargazing will be on the 28th. You'd be most welcome! ;)

Rachel

Like your suggestion. I turned up last night, on the basis that the BBCs site showed the cloud lifting (optimist !)

I remeber when I came along in february, that the guys with scopes parked closer to the viewing area. I tried to find that car park last night, but couldnt.. do you have a map showing where to park on stargazing nights? Dont want to be lugging my scope any further than i need to...

Will try to make the public meetings ;)

Archived