Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dovetail Mount for Solarmax 40

hobbesy

Hey all. I'm after a dovetail mount to fit the clamshell on my new solarmax.

All the reasonably priced ones I can find have the holes way too far apart. (I know, I know I could drill new ones myself, but I don't have a drill.)

In fact I have found one with 20mm centre to centre holes, but it's about 3 inches long so I wouldn't trust it to hold a webcam, let along an expensive solar scope.

Anyone know of anything under twenty quid that would fit the bill (and indeed the clam?)

The one I've used with a couple of different solar scopes is this one.

It's a solid piece of aluminium with the slot machined out of it. No problems with hole spacing.

Deluxe Vixen Style Photo Dovetail

http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accDovetails

ADM does some longer ones, but of course at over twice the price.

John

post-14522-1338777561_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877756102_thumb.jpg

That looks good John, thanks. Is it secure enough with only one bolt held by friction then? Or does it look easy to add another to it?

I ask as I'm using a Supatrak so it's on its side rather than on top like the Skytee in the picture.

I do the same as John on my PST, same short dovetail.

It is only supplied with the one screw but you can pick up additional screws for them all over. E.g. you can get these: 1/4" Lensplate Screw

I'm sure you can find them on eBay too, or do what I did, just "borrowed" them out of the quick release plates for my camera tripod.

Cheers

Ian

Archived