NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6 Worm wheel bits

Kanon

Can anyone please tell me if my RA worm wheel is configured differently from factory supplied way? I have a belt and pulley system that I am fitting and the worm wheel shaft does not seem to stick out far enough for the pulley tightening screw to grip properly. I have had a look at some websites showing the disassembly of an EQ6 and I think I have an extra, what I think is, a brass washer that may be causing the problem. I bought my mount second hand and I was told that the thrust washers have been upgraded in both axes to reduce axial play. I believe it is an AWR upgrade. I think I have to remove the brass washer from behind the chrome screw ring which will provide more shaft on which to fasten the pulley to. How do I remove the washer without removing the full worm gear?

Advice is most welcome.

Mark

IMG_3376.JPGcap%20side%20RA.JPG

Hi Mark

Thinking on my own EQ6, the silver retaining ring (the slotted thing in Pic1) holds the worm in place, and there is one at the other end as well. There is no other washer between the retaining ring and worm.

Which bits have been changed, do you know?

I think there is a brass washer under the chrome screw ring and a brass, I don't know what you would call it, pellet in the screw cap that I am holding in the picture. I have removed the chrome ring and it looks and moved like washer underneath. The picture I have saw of an EQ show the silver bearing through the chrome screw ring so I think this is part of the upgrade and the cause of my problems. I cant figure out how to remove it other than by tilting the head of the mount on its side and hope that only the washer falls out. I'm not really to sure thats why I am posting before I try.

Cheers,

Mark

OK, I see what you mean.

I don't have the pellet on my end cap. It could ensure the worm sits flush with the bearing I suppose - perhaps someone more engineering minded might chip in there!

So, to remove the bearing you need to tilt the head and tap the head with a rubber mallet. It will be a pain without taking the head apart, but it should come out. The bearing sits (snugly) inside the recess and sits up against the worm spindle.

If I had time, I'd take mine out and check but I'm about to go on hols so not going to get a chance.

I managed to remove the brass washers from the chrome screw ring side by tipping the mount on its side and by moving the mount in both directions and they just fell out. The pulleys fitted easily on to the worm wheel shafts and no longer wobble and fall off. So no more gear box induced errors :D

All I need are some clear Sky's :s

Cheers,

Mark

Archived