Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gemini - start of a new project

I thought I'd take a break from my deep sky imaging last night and do some experimenting using my new remote timer for the camera to do some widefield work. I want to build up a catalogue of the constellations so thought I'd start with Gemini.

Unfortunately, I use the EOS clip filter which can't be used when using the camera's 18-55mm lens so I had to work with no LP filter at all. (really need to get a second lens to butcher so I can use the clip filter with it). As you can see from the raw sub, LP is pretty damned awful here in Chester. We do get up to Cumbria a few times a year so this is a test run for then really.

For some reason I got bad vertical banding in the blue channel - never seen this in the blue channel before - problems like that are usually in the red channel - If anyone knows why I'd love to know. Also, I've noticed that whenever I post an image on the forum it somehow seems to get an extra stretch that exaggerates the noise.

15 x 25second subs at ISO400 with the EOS1000D and lens at 28mm on the CG5 GT mount. Stacked in DSS and processed in CS3 and Pixinsight. Labelling added in Paint Shop Pro.

post-14401-133877755707_thumb.jpg

post-14401-133877755716_thumb.jpg

Why not just get yourself an EF lens, then you can use the clip too.

I'd love to - so far I've been unable to find one - if you're aware of one then please let me know because the nearest I've found that would be suitable is the Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Zoom Lens at about £200 - there doesn;t seem to be an 18-55mm EF lens, only an EF-S lens.

The EF-S lenses are designed to fit only the APS-C size sensor cameras, they won't fit on the APS-H or full frame cameras, they are the cheaper arm of canon lenses.

As they are made for APS-C bodies you won't find a direct equivalent EF lens, the nearest would be the 24-105mm f4 L or the 28-135 f3.5-5.6 which is a bit cheaper. if you want a wide angle lens check out the very good sigma 12-24mm lens, this is the only non Canon lens I carry in my camera bag.

Not forgetting the nifty fifty 50mm, one of the best low cost lenses around.

As this is about dealing with light pollution I've approached it from a different angle which should cost alot less. I've ordered a 58-48mm step down ring and a 2" skywatcher LP filter - much cheaper than buying a new lens - the vignetting should be minimal and dealt with easily with flats.;)

Archived