NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Losmandy style dovetail - problem?

Bried

Hello there,

I recently purchased a skywatcher 250pds and EQ6 mount. I noticed that the dovetail seemed to be the weak link so decided to up grade it to a wide Losmandy style one.

I have now attached it and am wondering if it was really worth it. The flat parts of the tube rings are not really that flat and I can only use one bolt into each ring. I'm thinking now that the weak link is where the tube rings attach to the dovetail! :(

I was just wondering if anyone else has upgraded their dovetail and had similar thoughts and what have you done in order to get the best possible sturdy fitting?

I have considered drilling the dovetail either side of each bolt so that I can put two bolts through like the original skywatcher dovetail had to ensure that there is an opposing force going against the tube rings so that there is no play.

I have also considered having someone mill the tube rings so that the surface that contacts the dovetail is perfectly flat.

I thought about bolting the old dovetail onto the new one and have even considered looking into buying some better tube rings but can't seem to find any detailed photos which show exactly what I want.

Is there a specific method which I should be using to ensure that everything is attached with maximum efficiency?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Brian

Archived