NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mounting Small Refractor

Hi all,

I was thinking this morning, the tripod that came with my 70mm TravelScope is poor. I want to use it as a tripod for my camera now more than anything, but what do I do with the scope. Then I thought it might be possible to somehow mount it onto my reflector.

My reflector is only a 130 on AZ GOTO mount, so would this be possible or am I being overly adventurous?

Hi, I guess that it would be ok, although it would depend what your main mount is? as the weight might be too much for it. If it will support both scopes, you will need rings, or a way of mounting the TravelScope, but in principle it's possible! :( CW

Mounting the travelscope onto the reflector might not be a good idea, the mounts' weight limit is about the weight of the 130P / 127 Mak. It might be possible to add a dovetail bar onto the tube of the refractor (I assume the telescope is attached to a tripod using a standard 1/4" thread).

Peter

Mounting the travelscope onto the reflector might not be a good idea, the mounts' weight limit is about the weight of the 130P / 127 Mak. It might be possible to add a dovetail bar onto the tube of the refractor (I assume the telescope is attached to a tripod using a standard 1/4" thread).

Peter

No, the refractor has a dovetail bar already. It fits into the AZ mount.

Was just hoping it was possible to mount it alongside (kind of like using the reflector for imaging whilst still having a scope pointing in the same direction to look through). I understand about the weight limitations on the mount though.

Archived