Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

VY Canis Majoris

I'm more than happy with just a tiny point of light, I dont know how to find it though/ Im guessing its near sirius but no guide in turn Left at Orion so I'm stuck. I just want to see it :blob10:

The size does blow your mind. I read somewhere that if the earth was 1cm, then our sun would be 107cm. this thing would be 2.4Km on that scale.... insane!

EDIT: I found this but have no clue how to read it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/Canis_Major_IAU.svg

It is located just south east of Orion. Its actually one of Orions hunting dogs. Best seen January through to March. Apparently also it is better seen by people in southern latitudes. Dont know if you know M47 open cluster and M50 if so Canis Majoris is just below these 2.

I dont think this will ever get high enough for me to be able to see it from my garden :o my garden is longish and north facing so right at the top of it I can see most of the southern skies except the stuff low to the horizon.

I can never see Spica and it also seems that Saturn wont ever get high enough for me to see from my garden either :p I only just started seeing Sirius, that was running just below the ridge of my roof since March :/

I'll have to find another viewing spot if I want to get this then I guess. The local clubs to me may have better vantage points :blob10:

I dont think this will ever get high enough for me to be able to see it from my garden :o my garden is longish and north facing so right at the top of it I can see most of the southern skies except the stuff low to the horizon.

I can never see Spica and it also seems that Saturn wont ever get high enough for me to see from my garden either :p I only just started seeing Sirius, that was running just below the ridge of my roof since March :/

I'll have to find another viewing spot if I want to get this then I guess. The local clubs to me may have better vantage points :blob10:

Move house..joking

Archived