Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece advice for an 8" dob

RobRoyal

Hello all,

I've just ordered a Skywatcher 8" dobsonian (f/5.9) which comes with standard 10mm and 25mm eyepieces. I've also got a 2X barlow which came packaged with my first scope (Skywatcher 1145p). I'd like to spend £30-£40 improving my eyepieces, bu could spend more if there's a good argument for it. So, my questions to the knowledgable folk of the site:

1: I'd like something high power for observing planets. Would a £30ish 5mm eyepiece substantially outperform my 10mm with 2X barlow?

2: Or would I be better served by investing in a better barlow?

3: I also enjoy observing nebulae and clusters. Maybe I should prioritise something with a wider field to replace the standard 25mm - a 32mm Plossl maybe?

Many thanks!

Neither of the bundled EPs are that bad, although the 10mm is the slightly weaker of the two. It's worst quality is that it needs quite precise and close eye positioning to work well, but this isn't the end of the world. Bunging it in the distinctly average bundled 2x barlow will result in disappointment, so don't, but I expect you will, in exactly the same way all of us have.

The 25mm and the barlow work okay together, so you'll have 48x, 96x and 120x magnifications to play with, which isn't a bad place to be. Personally, I'd say live with them and your new scope for a while and see what you enjoy looking at most. That will have far more impact on the recommendations for suitable EPs in the future.

Russell

High magnification is very tempting but if you have a manual dob, as I do, then why not take advantage of the widefield views a 32mm plossl could give you?

After using the supplied EPs for a good while, my first addition was a GSO Revelation which cost around £35. Turned out to be my most used, and favourite, plossl.

Other brands are available too :blob10:

Excellent, thanks for your advice.

I'll bear it in mind (I've decided not to make a snap decision on eyepieces), but things are now complicated in that I might buy a 10" instead - though I'm concerned about the demands this will place on the eyepieces!

If anyone can help with with this further dilemna it's on this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/182247-new-scope-dilemna.html

Cheers!

Archived