Stellarium!!!!! argghhhhh!!!!

so as most of you know i have begun my quest into astronomy, after gandering at the planets and me and my partner giving the usual ohhh's ahhh's, i thought i would try something a little different and try and find a few of the easier messier objects or maybe 1 of the brighter galaxies, so after reading some forums on this subject the main points that came up were, the usual star hopping and use stellarium, after setting my location, date and time which i think is correct, can anyone tell me why when i put the time as 22:00, stellarium is still telling me the sun is up???!!!!!!!! its the new copy build 0.11.2, i have no idea how to fix this problem,

any advice would be great full

Haribo :)

In the stellarium location configuration window, can you find a town or city near you to use? Could be that the format for the location is wrong or somtething, and a nearby town will be good enough.

James

Yep, go for a near by town, as for Messiers that give that wow factor, M3 is good, most of the open clusters will show something, galaxies are just faint grey blobs, it really needs a camera and all other stuff to get to see the gas lanes ect, all though looking at some of them that are 70 million light years away even as a grey blob does give a tingle, a Telrad will help with searching and running Stellarium in windows mode then pressing Alt-O brings up a option to show the Telrad circles which really help when hunting faint DSO's.

If you persist you will see more details in galaxies than simply "a blob." For example with an 8" you can see dust lanes in M31 and M104, M51 and M33 show spiral arms, HII regions are visible in M33 and M101, there are details in NGC 253, etc.

after setting my location, date and time which i think is correct, can anyone tell me why when i put the time as 22:00, stellarium is still telling me the sun is up???!!!!!!!! its the new copy build 0.11.2, i have no idea how to fix this problem,

any advice would be great full

Check your computer's time zone settings.

Also, if you have entered your coordinates manually, check if you haven't missed a sign or something like that. Better search the list for a location that is near to you.

Also, I suggest changing the thread title, so the next one who has the same problem can find it in Google.

Archived