Beginners Budget - Explorer 200PDS MOUNT?

Hey everyone, i have a budget of £450 tops and was going to purchase the Skywatcher 200p on and EQ5 mount however i was thinking of going into astrophotography later on in the year so i think I'm going to go for the 200PDS instead however i can't afford to get the mount with it, the cheapest I've found is £550 with the mount.

Is there any cheap cheap mounts that i can use until i can afford to get a CG-5 Gt or a decent go-to mount to take photos?

All i want to do for half a year or so is get use to the scope and its features maybe take a few shots of the moon on my Canon dslr. I would much rather get a good scope first than payout for an ok mount and an ok scope then have to replace them both in a year.

Thanks all

hi i have a 200p on a cg5-gt and to be honest its pushing its limits for LX photography. if your having to save up for a better mount i would go up a level if you can afford it (although the CG5-GT will do the job if you cant stretch for a bigger mount) - if you dont mind second hand i see a GT on astronomy buy and sell this morning for £295 which is quite a good saving.

OK good advice on the mount for the future but i haven't looked too much into what mount to get for future as of yet, i know there will be better ones to what I've stated, i will be spending a lot on a mount later on. My problem is for now, i just need as low cost mount as possible so i can spend more on a telescope now.

In 6 months time i will be asking what mount to get to replace the one I'm about to buy which hopefully won't cost more than 150?

Hi D34nobagio ,

Have you seen Quatermasses images from the 200p/EQ5? I don't think you need the 200PDS nessecarily.

I have connected a Canon 350d to the 200p and it achieves focus.

A heavier mount (HEQ5) would be more important than the PDS OTA for AP (ask anyone on here).

I thought about the HEQ5, but the 200p/eq5 is such good value when bought together it seemed crazy to get the mount and the OTA seperately.

Perry.

If you want to do imaging on this scope you will need the HEQ5 as a minimum. Where imaging is concerned the most important part of the whole set-up is the mount. Don't skimp a penny on it.

If you stick to visual stuff you will be fine on the EQ5.

I went through the same process as you. I had limited funds, I wanted to do AP. I was told the mount is the most important and it probably is.

After seeing what QM did on the 200p/EQ5 though I went for that and have just bought the motors.

The motors are amazing and kept the planets in my viewfinder for ages and I took some reasonable images of them. They are essential for DSO's as is accurate polar allignment (the 200p/EQ5 comes with a polar scope on FLO)

Took my first DSO image last night.

Rough polar allignment

Just held the camera button for 30 seconds as I haven't got the remote yet.

Imagine what you can do when you set it up perfectly.

Perry.

post-32032-133877751021_thumb.jpg

is that the orion neb?? looks alright cant you set the timer on manual so that when it goes it takes a 30 sec shot [ie set timer and have camera set up as manual with 30 second shutter ?]

is that the orion neb?? looks alright cant you set the timer on manual so that when it goes it takes a 30 sec shot [ie set timer and have camera set up as manual with 30 second shutter ?]

Yes I heard you can, I've only had it a couple of days though, so still haven't found out how to do it yet.

Just showing that you can get a picture out with minimal effort.

whats all this i hear about taking 10 30second darks and 10 30 second lights etc. Is that for a webcam or is this something id have to do on my canon 550d

Webcam's are used for the Planets. It's for your canon. I've found the following references and there's a lot of info. on SGL too. -

Covington's DSLR Astrophotography Procedures

DeepSkyStacker FAQ

Just like to thank you all for your help. i changed my mind again thanks to Pel and went for the 200p with eq5 mount for 395. i will more than likely buy a very good mount in a years time to take photos with but lets take one step at a time and get use to a telescope first ay. Thanks again everyone

This is my latest image with the 200p eq5 dual motors,i can get 90 second subs before the star trail is bad.The hand controller can be modified to accept a st4 port and guiding can be achieved throught the finder.I havent personally done this but seen i think a 10 minute sub on this website and it was brilliant.Good luck with whatever scope mount combo you buy,hope to see some images very soon.:)

BTW the image is M13

post-26758-13387775104_thumb.jpg

Archived