NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm a little confused about this imaging lark...

So there I was, I'd trained my telescope (Astromaster 130eq md) onto Jupiter and had it well in my sights using my normal 10mm EP that I use to acquire what I'm looking for. I then switch the eyepiece to my freshly modded xbox livecam which is tested and working, and has an IR filter on the end of the webcam/EP screw on adapter, but I was unable to see anything on the screen of the laptop - I tried over and over again until I thought I'm missing something and decided to call the imaging a night and concentrated instead on viewing rather than imaging.

Is there a knack to finding your target on your screen, or is it pot luck?

I appreciate that once I do find Jupiter, that it's not going to be as great, large and spectacular as a lot of your expertly taken images, but I'd like to have something to keep to remind me of what I saw!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

A couple of things to do / try (that helped me anyhow).

Centre the planet in your eyepeice before swapping over. When you do change, make sure you don't wobble the scope or mount - at all. Also remember the focusing point will be different. You may have to use an extension tube (I'm not familar with your scope - sure someone else will confirm).

cheers.

Archived