Nearest star

Hi all,

I have been looking at the night sky and still gaze in wonder, but I would like to check out the most obvious thing in the sky and that is our sun. I am really nervous about this as i don't want to lose my sight or my camera chip. I know there are special filters, but what is the easiest and safest way to view and photograph our sun.

Looking forward to the flood of replies........

Hi Ford

I completely understand your concerns.

To be honest.......................the safest,easiest and cheapest way to observe the sun is by using this product:

First Light Optics - Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0

It will only allow you to observe sunspots in "white light". If you want to see more.....................then you would need a dedicated solar observing scope know as a PST (Personal Solar Telescope). They are not cheap.

The view/detail you will get with the above mentioned filter will be similar to this: Depending on the aperture of your scope (obviously) and how much magnification you use.

The Sun is becoming very active again (it goes in 11 yr cycles), so now is a good time to start observing.

Check out the solar observing/imaging section of this site:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-solar/

post-18019-133877749893_thumb.jpg

Cheers Paul. I will have a look the film you mentioned. Would you use a polorizing filter in conjunction with the film. I have one of those varable ones that get darker as you twist the lenses.

I dont have one nor do i do any solar observing. Give it a go.

Make sure you either leave the caps on your finder scope - or use baader solar film on finder as well. Don't look at the sun in a regular scope or finder or you will loose your eyesight instantly and permanently ;)

Make sure you either leave the caps on your finder scope - or use baader solar film on finder as well. Don't look at the sun in a regular scope or finder or you will loose your eyesight instantly and permanently ;)

Good point. i should have said the same.

You'd get plenty of light through just the offset hole - but I would still cover the whole tube end with baader solar film to ensure no sunlight gets into the tube from the sides. Ensure there's no pin holes in the film too - if you find one then destroy the whole sheet and start with a fresh perfect one ;)

Archived