Astromaster 130EQ Star Finder - Phone Bracket

Just got my first Telescope and managed to set up the starfinder, but find the starfinder difficult to actually use in the dark !

I have just downloaded the SkEye app for my phone and also ordered one of these Tripod Mount Holder Stand for iPhone Cell Phone Camera | eBay to mount it to my Telescope on the camera mount.

Just wandered how accurate this would be or am I better replaceing the starfinder for a decent Finder Scope ?

Cheers

Tony

i tried skeye with my dob and if you make sure that you tell it where you are and do the figure of 8 sensor calibration ( see you tube) it can be fairly accurate ... but it can also be fairly , er miles out !

its a bit hit and miss and make sure the phone is quite a way from the scopes tube as the metal interferes withe the magnetic compass

Good luck

I've got an iphone and don't find it that accurate for locating objects. I didn't bother getting a bracket.

I've got a Telrad and find them very easy for finding objects, especially with these maps -

Sky Maps

I downloaded the Skeye app, just for a try. Can't really see that it has a seriously practical use if the phone can't be mounted on the telescope. Hand-held, the sky picture isn't stable enough for looking at!

Hi Tonnee, I have that scope too and I thought the finderscope was useless so I brought a Telrad. Best £30 odd I've spent. So easy to use. Can't praise it enough.

Radders

same here. the finder on those things are useless pieces of junk.

Hello all, my telrad is on order and should have it within the next few days,,i'm looking for people who have the astro 130eq and has the telrad,,could they post pictures of it with the telrad fixed on instead of that deadfull RDF,,,i like to see some pics of where it has to go and did they take the RDF of the scope,,,thanks alot,,,Greg

I put my Telrad on the rings and aligned it with Jupiter. Just a case of moving the tube when wanting to view different parts of the sky. You can buy riser's for the Telrad so you don't have to crouch down so much. Think I'm gonna invest in one myself.

Radders

The problem I had was getting it off when I returned my 130eq. :-)

Have a go with the Sky maps and Telrad, it's one of the easier ways to find your way around the sky.

I found Pliades and the Orion nebula just by pointing the Telrad at a smudgy bit in the sky.

Archived