New scope and webcam

Hi all,

I recently got interested in astronomy and want to purchase my first scope.

My budget is £400 - £450 max so please no one respond with you need a heq5 mount at £700 haha

I want to possibly take images in the future with a webcam so will need guidance on a good one too.

Been looking at skywatcher 150p-ds and eq3-2 kit.

Any other options out there that won't make me want to upgrade within 6 months.

Thanks

Paul

You should have no real issues with that scope for luna - I use Celestron NexImage web cam which works well for luna work. It should work well for planets too, but I've been struggling with magnification so can't vouch for that. The NexImage is not that cheap to buy new - but can be had reasonably cheaply second hand (think I paid around £50 for mine). TBH any modified web cam will do the trick as well as dedicated options like the QHy5.

150P-DS will be able to produce images of the moon and DSO (with DSLR), but I'm not sure how it will do on planets. Although DSO will be limited by the mount stability and how well you can manually track with it.

The dob 150p or the 200p which I have are very good scope,

150p £200 I think

200p £270 ish but not in stock from many retailers.

I don't take pics yet so can't tell you what it's like but a few people say it good but you need to get a hang of the scope and frame first.

Obviously you will need other bits and bobs which will push the price up but it's well worth shopping around for good deals.

The guys on here give excellent advice as they helped me loads on choosing my scope and eyepieces to go with.

Archived