Vixen npl,s

I also have the 8,15,30 NPL'S. I also have a Skywatcher 130P (Heritage).

When you ask if the views would be better with 30mm rather then 8mm,15mm..........what exactly do you mean?

With 30mm the views will be smaller. You would not use a 30mm EP to observe planets (for example). The 30mm is really only used to scan the sky for "faint fuzzies" and then you would use other EP to zoom in on them.

By all means buy the 30mm if you plan to use it as a "sky scanner".............

If you like observing wide areas of the night sky rather then zooming in on individual objects then its great.

I love just wandering around the night sky with my 30mm npl..............if something catches my eye i will switch to 15mm and then (if needed) i will switch to 8mm

i have the 30 and 10mm npls i think their really good but all iv got is the standereds. the 30mm is really good for WF views :)

but one thing to remember the BST or BGOs are only a little more in price and apparently better quailty. i'll eventually be getting them

i used mine in my megrez 72 8" coulter dob and 6" bushnell dob i used to own

A little translation in case it's helpful:

BST's = BST Explorer eyepieces. They cost around £47 each new.

BGO's = Baader Genuine Orthoscopics. New these are around £70 each, used they tend to go for £45 each or so.

If you like the views with your existing Vixen NPL's then the 30mm will deliver more of the same but the magnification will be lower and the amount of sky show proportionately larger, as Paul (LukeSkywatcher) says.

A low power eyepiece is always nice to have both as a "finder" eyepiece and to view extended deep sky objects such as the Andromeda Galaxy.

A little translation in case it's helpful:

BST's = BST Explorer eyepieces. They cost around £47 each new.

BGO's = Baader Genuine Orthoscopics. New these are around £70 each, used they tend to go for £45 each or so.

If you like the views with your existing Vixen NPL's then the 30mm will deliver more of the same but the magnification will be lower and the amount of sky show proportionately larger, as Paul (LukeSkywatcher) says.

A low power eyepiece is always nice to have both as a "finder" eyepiece and to view extended deep sky objects such as the Andromeda Galaxy.

thanks john i couldnt remember what they were called, i guess you get too used to abreavations some times:P

as john said the 30 will be better for bigger objects, and as mydob dont have a telrad yet as a finder its also good for centering objects for the higher eyepeices

Archived